1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. El Mas Chingon

El Mas Chingon New Member

Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

What else do they cover beside Texas Tech? Do they cover the Dallas Cowboys? Staff size?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

to be a desker? i figure he had to be making 50k in Lubbuck? Which seems weird to pay 70k for a desker.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No weirder than 70K for a writer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a lot of copy editors making that much...

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You and me both, Mizzou.

6. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Good opportunity. Greenberg is a good guy who understands the power of the interweb. Good, hard-working sports staff also. Jeff Walker, Tech men's basketball beat writer, is interim SE I believe. Like Patrick, he is a class act.

Applicants may want to study the Franklin Covey philosophy and its "Seven Habits For Highly Successful People" (I think that's correct) to understand a bit of the newsroom's approach to long-term and short-term goals.

Lubbock, what can you say?

It's a bit out there, yes, but it isn't the craphole most people think it is. Most major chain restaurants and fast-food joints have outposts in the LBK - augmenting some pretty good locally based eateries.

South Plains Mall is a pretty stout retail fixture anchored by Dillard's and J.C. Penney, drawing people from throughout the region and Eastern New Mexico.

Rents are fairly cheap. You can pretty much get anywhere in town in 15 minutes due to a grid street system and servicable loop roadway around town.

As far as entertainment and merrymaking, the Depot District downtown has plenty of adequate bars and restaurants for folks of all ages. For the young and reckless, there are more than a few bars just east of Tech campus of Broadway.

Texas Tech is definitely the straw that stirs the drink as far as the sports staff goes.

As far as high schools go, Frenship (based in Wolfforth but serving the western parts of Lubbock) is probably the best big-school (4A) high school football team in town.

Estacado High School, in much-maligned (often unfairly) East Lubbock, is a pretty good basketball power.

Obviously, youth and high school baseball in Lubbock is very good (recent Little League World Series and Monterey High School's past glory).

As for Clever's query, I think the A-J got rid of the big car ad from the sports front (The ad must have worked. I bought a truck from the dealership).

7. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Gee, in all that drivel I forgot to mention staff size. I think they have about 8 or 9 total in sports.

As far as the whole newsroom, I don't know off the top of my head. I believe circulation is somewhere between 50,000 to 60,000 (it's two hours from last call and I'm too lazy to take the few minutes to look up specifics - sorry).

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do car ads still run amok?

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

This is pretty dern accurate. Actually, if you ever spend time and Lubbock and set foot in a national chain food joint, you are cheating yourself. There are several great places to eat.

That being said, if you go to Lubbock, be warned that it is still fairly isolated...as are most West Texas and Panhandle locations in Texas. That's not a bad thing for many people, not a good thing for others. It is what it is. Just trying to give people a heads up before they go.
    And also, Lubbock can have a small-town feel for a decent size city. In other words, there's not a whole load of rush hour traffic, and many people are still friendly, down-home folk. Yet at the same time, it does have decent mall, decent stores, things to do....and an entire strip just dedicated to bars.

If you can stand the smell, it can be an all right place.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have honestly never noticed a smell there.
    What smell is it you are referring to?
    There isn't a lot of oil up that way, so you don't have to smell the sulfur (or the smell of money as folks in my part say).
    I'm just curious.

11. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

There's a pretty damned good steakhouse on the outskirts of town called Cagle's, by the way. I know for many people that is the food highlight of any Big 12 tour.

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Um, no. Dallas is a good 5-6 hour drive from Lubbock. Big state, my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted