1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would think a Mac Davis selection is more appropriate. :D

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Waylon and Buddy wept. ;)

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

«picardfacepalm.jpg»

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/mac_davis/texas_in_my_rear_view_mirror.html

:D

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You can't take the Cowshitistan out of the boy. They all come back to the Emirate, eventually.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think it has more to do with the state of the business as a whole than with the state of the Lubbock SE gig. Although neither are in great shape.

6. Godspeed to Jeff. Used to call him Lefty (from the Waylon and Willie tune) because he's from near Cleveland and liked to wear cowboy boots from time to time :). I heard the venerable A-J got bit by the layoff bug recently, and remaining staff had to take a pay cut.

One good thing, Lubbbock citizens recently voted to have packaged alcohol sales within city limits - meaning Hub City folks soon won't have to drive out to the Strip for too much longer.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the Mac Davis selection.

8. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Imagine a year-long search for the right guy, to have this happen. Must have learned "the rest of the story." And I thought Paul Harvey was dead.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Happiness is Lubbock, Texas in his rearview mirror.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

so, did they fill this internally

11. JeffWalker

JeffWalker New Member

A little clarification/correction -- for those who care.
    Yes, dropping the interim tag from my title took a while. Part of that was at my request (at the beginning). A search was conducted, I supported it (told them if they found someone more qualified who I could learn from, I was all for it) and was updated every step of the way with the process. The time it took had nothing to do with the A-J being "cheap". In fact, they probably saved money by putting me on salary because of all the overtime I was racking up while we were a person short on the staff.
    Leaving the business had nothing to do with the A-J, Lubbock or the state of the newspaper industry. I received an offer to return home (Cleveland, Ohio) that I couldn't refuse. I'm making more money, working better hours, have a very lucrative future with this company and get to spend time with my family, which includes two nieces and two nephews. (Those who know me know how important the latter is to me).
    It was an easy decision. If this opportunity didn't come along, however, I would still be in Lubbock. I wasn't looking to get out.
    When I left almost a month ago, George Watson was named the interim sports editor. They planned to once again conduct a national search. I can tell you the editor, Terry Greenberg, is good to work for, and the staff consists of three veterans (including George) and a guy who was hired out of college about a year ago. One of his greatest assets is his knowledge of how the industry is shifting to video, blogs, etc.
    I enjoyed my career as a journalist for 15 years, including six at the A-J, but have no regrets with my decision. This board was brought to my attention, so I figured I'd come here and clear up a few things. I don't plan on coming back here, so if (for whatever reason) you have a question, you can look me up on facebook.
    Good luck to you all, my former colleagues.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if they put you on salary to save money because you were getting too much overtime then what else can you call it but cheap?

Draft saved Draft deleted