1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock A-J high school sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, May 22, 2017.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

JOB TITLE: High school sports reporter

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal’s high school sports reporter is responsible for helping the sports editor organize and carry out valuable, unique, compelling, timely content appearing on all our varied platforms to cover 60+ high schools in our market.

WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR: Ability to cover beat, report and write high-quality stories and columns. Knows AP style and other language usage.

OK, the above is part of what HR sent me.

But, here is what I am really looking for:

I want someone who isn't just interested in writing gamers and doing previews. Some of that will be done, but I have 1.5 other high school reporters who can focus and help on those. What I am looking for is a true digital journalist (Think Courtney Cronin, who I worked with in Mississippi).

I want someone who can work with photographers to create compelling digital content, knows how to run a video camera and feels comfortable editing and producing video to complement a great feature.

This desired reporter must be willing to engage in social media and not just Twitter. Everyone does Twitter. I want someone to reach out using SnapChat and Instagram and help to continue to build our bases there; someone who can come in from a game Friday night and shoot a Facebook Live and Periscope highlight show for our audience - and then edit that video (with the help of our photo staff) into something compelling for our next-day viewers.

I want to move past the typical high school coverage and if you think you can help me do that then send your resume, clips and any video or podcast samples to nicholas.talbot@lubbockonline.com

PS - We won several APSE and APMEs this year, including Sunday, daily and special sections (missing a triple crown by getting an honorable mention) and almost every writer I have ever worked with has an APSE. I aim to create compelling content and get you to grow and move on. I know Lubbock is not a destination job (But, it isn't as bad as Tommy Tuberville thinks it is either), but I will do my best to help get you there.

2. I worked at the A-J under Nick. Highly recommended. You will develop as a writer and reporter, and, as he mentioned, probably win an APSE. He invests a lot of time into his employees.

From what I recall, the high school scene wasn't that great in football or basketball. But there's still plenty of great stories to tell because you'll be responsible for a big number of schools.

Maria and MiamiBoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted