1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU hires Van Chancellor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was about to post this earlier (and why not? I've had more free time lately and have posted like crazy). There are some outstanding mid-major women's coaches who are men, and therefore most of them will stay there.

I would hope that a sport that so desperately wants equality would encourage ADs to simply hire the best candidate they could afford for each job. Seems like the fair thing to do. A lot of those men are really good coaches.

I totally get wanting to hire a woman to coach women if she's as qualified as the male candidates, though. Seems like a good tiebreaker.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Seems to be pretty difficult for women to move up for head coaching jobs in men's basketball, too. ::)

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought I read somewhere that Florida wanted to talk to Auriemma... I can't imagine that happening, but it still takes stones to even try to pull that off...

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn good hire IMO. Big name that moves LSU past the Pokey mess.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So is Geno Auriemma the exception that proves the rule or does he actually have a vagina?
    The SEC actually has three male coaches with two jobs open. And you could argue that Landers and Chancellor are at two of the top three jobs in the SEC.
    That doesn't disprove the point, but it is interesting.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why are you startled? This is not a surprise at all. They really had no choice.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I just went to LSU's Web site -- www.lsusports.net -- and thought Van Chancellor had died. Maybe it's just me, but the huge portrait of him on the main page (the usual logo and banner, links, etc. all gone) made it look like a tribute page, not a hiring announcement.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Agreed, if it just said 1938-2007 underneath his name it would be perfect.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

To quote Mark Knopfler:

"Yeah, buddy, that's his own hair ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted