1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU hires Van Chancellor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

News conference in progress right now.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've been hearing this for days. About time they got to it.

3. Johnny Dangerously

I wonder if LSU fans who are pissed at Saban for going to Alabama, a conference (and divisional) rival, will sing a different tune about Van Chancellor returning to college -- in the same conference (and division) as his former school, Ole Miss.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No...

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can't possibly equate women's hoops with football down there, can you?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I found it odd that Florida (apparently) never tried to bring Chancellor in for a chat.

Or maybe I missed it ...

7. Johnny Dangerously

No. I was being a smart ass.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Is the SEC the only conference in America that hires (almost exclusively, it seems) coaches from other conference schools.

I've seen about 7 or 8 SEC coaches (Tubby included) go from one school to the next. At least Saban & Chancellor went to the pros in-between.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you being one now? :D

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Chancellor left Ole Miss a long time ago, so the in-conference thing isn't a big deal.

What startles me more is that a male coach was hired. Perhaps, given the circumstances at LSU, that was the only way to go.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That was my thought.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Male wbb coaches are very difficult to find at the major-college level (the SEC used to be a bastion of *old* male wbb coaches that went back to the early days of the game ... now, one of them is back. Before today, Landers was the only one left. Another one of the "old guard" of male SEC coaches -- Jim Foster -- is now the only male coach in the Big Ten).

Meanwhile, they're a dime-a-dozen at the mid-major level, and some are doing a very, very good job. It's very difficult, for many reasons -- but especially with the politics that exists at major universities -- for those coaches to move up into the elite programs.

Draft saved Draft deleted