1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU Fires Brady

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writer200707, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No Final Fours on his resume'
    No NCAA Tourney berths, period.
    He and father, Press, were they alive, would not be considered for this job.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It wasn't an easy bracket, but that LSU team had actually underachieved that season in relation to its talent level (as ALL of Brady's teams do). It had a ton of talent, including Tyrus Thomas and Glen Davis, and should've done better in the regular season. That tourney run was just a case of finally getting their act temporarily together and playing for 4 games as they should've all season.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Duke had a weak team the year before that, but 2006 would, I'll admit, have been a more-solid win.

Brady inherited a probation-racked team, I remember, when he came to the bayou.
    Lack of scholarships or somesuch kept them behind the eight-ball early on.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The 2006 and 2000 tournament runs were nice (a Sweet 16 in 2000, before losing to Wisconsin). Those were the peaks. Unfortunately, there were plenty of valleys. It was either feast or famine with Brady, and by the middle of December you knew which it was going to be.
    If he had talent, he looked good. His teams won, maybe made the tournament or at least the NIT.
    If he had only a couple of talented players, he looked great. You knew they didn't have the horses, yet his teams stayed in games for 30 or 35 minutes. Just long enough to run out of gas and lose by five at the end. You could almost convince yourself the guy was a great coach.
    When he had no talent...look out. The season was a total train wreck. What got him whacked this year is he has a couple of talented players, yet the team is awful. I like and admire coaches who can stay in one place as long as he did (was in his 10th season), but it was time for a change.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Brady was a former Mississippi State assistant and his bench mate in Baton Rouge, Butch Pierre, was a former MSU guard in the early 1980s so I'm familiar with the set-up there.
    That's a job where someone should be able to flourish, but there's a lot of opportunity there for student-athletes to concentrate on things not related to basketball.
    Still, football and baseball on the bayou have flourished for some time now.
    They need better athletes, overall, than have signed and come there recently.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Mark Few wouldn't even take the call.

Kelvin Sampson would have been a great fit here. Sean Miller at Xavier has to be on every shopping list this year though with LSU's penchant for hiring star coaches, any chance they could turn Jamie Dixon's head with a big ol' bag of cash?

Tim Floyd also makes a lot of sense as he's the kind of guy who would want to skip town with O.J. Mayo and leave USC in an absolute pile of shit, but he also has ties to Brady, so that might be the last guy to get a whiff.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's when it started in our office.

Unless he has really rubbed some people the wrong way, or had some other fireable offense that hasn't come to light yet, this is a bad deal deal for Brady.

Hasn't he had some injuries and defections, and LSU is young right? Jeez, talk about no patience.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

He has. Brady's been a very unpopular coach at LSU. Attendance has been dismal for years, although obviously it was better in '06.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, I guess he just wore out his welcome then. Wonder what Dale Brown thinks of this? He has an opinion on everything.

If they're not selling out the arena, then Brady's days were numbered.

I agree Few won't talk to them.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always thought Brady was one of the better quotes in college hoops...

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tim Floyd would leave USC right now if LSU called.

12. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Tim Floyd has more than "ties" to Brady. He was the head coach at UNO and Brady was his assistant and lead recruiter.

Brady is a good coach but his inability to get a decent point guard has been a problem for a while.

But this isn't surprising. He was probably going to get pushed out in 2006 if they didn't make a run in the tournament. The Final Four just bought him some time, a raise and a fat buyout.

Draft saved Draft deleted