1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU-Bamageddon: College Football Week 10

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I will watch Uncle Verne's intro, and that will be it. I have no desire to watch a 24-10 ballgame that features nothing but punts and turnovers.

I will gladly watch KState get prison raped.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, CBS moved the Bama-LSU game to prime time last week. So those other games were already scheduled where they are.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because not everyone kneels at the altar of Mike Slime and the SEC?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because there are a lot of compulsive gamblers in this country?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've been frustrated with Williams all year. I'm holding him to the same standards as Brad Smelley, which are very high, and he hasn't met them. He doesn't run proper routes, and he's dropped a few passes.

DeAndrew White had one very impressive game but has otherwise vanished into the ether. If there's one place where LSU unquestionably has an advantage, it's at wide receiver. Darius Hanks and Marquis Maze are excellent slot receivers forced to play wide because they're the only ones who really know what they're doing.

Unit-by-unit, the way I see it:

• Quarterbacks: The way I see it, Jordan Jefferson is better than AJ McCarron, who is better Jarrett Lee. That's not to say there's a huge gap. I do think Jefferson is the SEC's best quarterback. Advantage: LSU.
    • Running backs: Given how well Eddie Lacy has played and given that Trent Richardson is Trent Richardson, it's easy to sort this out. Advantage: Alabama.
    • Receivers: See above. Rueben Randle will be the steal of the 2012 or 2013 NFL draft if he's not a first rounder. Advantage: LSU.
    • Offensive line: Alabama's Barrett Jones and William Vlachos III are the two best linemen in this game, though Will Blackwell is no slouch as LSU's best run blocker. D.J. Fluker has been a revelation this season after two years as a bust. Advantage: Alabama.
    • Defensive line: LSU's Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery are really good defensive ends, but neither is on an All-American pace to match Alabama defensive tackle Josh Chapman. It's tough to compare a three-man line to a four-man line. Still, Chapman and Jesse Williams are monsters. Advantage: Alabama, barely.
    • Linebacker: Alabama has the best linebacking corps in the country by a wide margin. LSU's linebackers are its lone defensive liability. No contest. Advantage: Alabama.
    • Defensive backs: LSU has the best five-man defensive backfield in the country. Alabama is probably second. Alabama has a little more depth with guys like Phelon Jones and Will Lowery and the freshman, Vinnie Sunseri. That depth helped in blowouts, but this game won't be a blowout. Advantage: LSU.
    • Special teams: Both of these teams are excellent in coverage, but Florida (which, yes, has the two fastest running backs in the country returning kicks) got through Alabama's coverage once. And I think LSU has superior returners with Claiborne and Mathieu back there. Advantage: LSU.
    • Coaches: Don't get me wrong -- Les Miles is cool and all. But in this one, you can have him. Advantage: Alabama.
    So, the way I see it, five categories favor Alabama and four favor LSU. Of course, opposing linebackers aren't on the field at the same time, so that's not to say that I think Alabama is one-fifth better than LSU or anything.

I do think Alabama will win. I think home field will play a big role in that. I don't think any team can go into Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa and emerge with a victory.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Florida/Vandy. It's November, and these teams have the same record.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Only because Vandy coughed one up this week against the Piggies.

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

That's the best sportswriting I've read tonight. Wish I could put it in the paper.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Isn't USC-Colorado on Friday night?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jordan Jefferson being labeled the best QB in the conference?

Tyler Wilson is much better.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

after further review...it is on friday nite.

I shall now sip from the river of fail.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I expect well over a dozen people to be in the stands at Folsom Field by the end of the game on Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted