1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LPGA Tour Q School question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Dec 11, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

A local player looks like she's going to qualify but I'm not familiar with LPGA Tour Q School and the website isn't much help. Anybody know who gets a card and how the exemptions work? The LPGA website says the top 20 have status under Category 11, 21-30 have status under Category 16 and 31-40 under Category 20. Geez, would it be so damn hard just to spell it out for those of us who don't know what the heck the categories are? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Top 20 have full exemption -- in other words they get their tour card -- the next two categories will give them varying numbers of tournament exemptions or invites. I think the 31-40 category is actually more of a if we need a filler we'll give you a call. And depending on where you finished will determine your priority for when you are given an invite. I think for the 21-30 it's only like five tournaments a year.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific than that. We had a local golfer who last year finished in the 21-30 group and it was between three and five tournaments she was given an exemption into I think, she also qualified for a few others, so I can't quite remember the split.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More interested in their O school.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Given the Tour's shrinking schedule, which means most fully exempt players will tee it up in every event, I'd say anyone outside the top 20 is on pretty shaky ground.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted