1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LPGA says all players must learn English

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Seahawk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Daly (for better or worse) is a personality. He doesn't have that country club look to him. He's Everyman.

He's the Jeremy Roenick of golf who stands out simply because the rest of the people in his sport are so damn boring.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My respect for Everyman just went down a notch.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Daly fan but he's only a story because almost everybody else on the tour is dull and boring as hell. Most of the time it's like listening to an interview with the President of the local Chamber of Commerce. Talk about white bread.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, please. That everyman crap is for the birds any more. Boo Weekley is Everyman. John Daly is a drunken lout and his act stopped being charming a few binges ago. He once said he connects to people because we've all got one of him in the family -- a brother in law, uncle, etc. Except most families wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior/

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but I find it obnoxious that Vladimir Guerrero can play baseball six months a year in this country and still refuse to learn English.

English should be THE official language in the U.S. and anyone who chooses to live or work in this country should be required to have the ability to speak it in a public setting. What language you speak in the privacy of your own home or in an store that caters to a specific population is and should still be up to you.

And I'm second generation American.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Morgan Pressel has a personality and can be, well, volatile or at least she was as a junior.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it makes good business sense that if you ply your trade for a large portion of your time in a foreign country, it can only help you if you get some working knowledge of the language, whether you play golf, baseball or are the U.S. division president of a corporation in another country. What the LPGA should have announced is that it will be mandatory for international players to take some kind of English lessons, and then have evaluations. Then, see where that takes you in a couple of years. I'd be they wouldn't have to threaten suspensions.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She's settled down a little bit. Still channels a little Dottie Pepper from time to time.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Daly comes off--love him or hate him--as a character. Guy's a flawed human being. I'm not a fan but at least I can figure out WHY he's so popular.

Boo Weekley just comes off as one dumb hick.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why should it be mandatory? It's in the player's best interests but it should be up to them if they want to learn English--or any language.

I don't care if Evegni Malkin speaks a word of English and it's none of the NHL's business if he does or doesn't. It's the hockey I care about. If he learns English, fine. If not, he'll suffer in the endorsement market.

The LPGA has tournaments in other countries than the US. Should the American players be forced to learn Spanish when they play in Mexico?

Although the intentions might be good, it's a heavy handed approach that reeks of xenophobia

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Those damn Koreans. You'd think they'd have the common decency to speak English. I mean, it's like they have a different word for everything.[/stevemartin]

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Trust me ... Boo Weekley's got more IQ points in his left arm than Daly has in that fat body, no matter how many times he screwed up keeping Sergio's scorecard. Weekley also is married and a family man and is much better with the fans that Daly is. The only fans who still revere Daly are the drunks who yell "Go in the hole" with every shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted