1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LPGA says all players must learn English

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Seahawk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Can;t wait for some Asian rights group to start yelling about this.
    Is the LPGA an American company? If it is, they need to speak English. An American fortune 500 company wouldn't hire a Korean as a CEO if he didn't speak a word of English.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is nothing new. English is the only language of communication in Formula One.

To compete, to converse with engineers, you HAVE to speak English, and good English at that. It's not a requirement, per se, but I can't remember a driver who couldn't speak it.

3. If I was a Korean golfer, this is the only English I would learn for post victory press conference:

"I just kicked another American's ass and it feels most pleasant. Please to suck it USA. Thank you."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because as we all know, the U.S. is the source of all evil in the world.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Aw, lighten up, Francis. That was a funny line.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Then they'll all be boring in two languages.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or perhaps they can speak only in movie quotes or song lyrics.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, the PGA slogan, 'These Guys are Good" Well, the LPGA's will be "The Best English Speaking Lady Golfiers in the World".

Wonder what's up next?

Get rid of the dykes, perhaps?

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've covered a Futures Tour event for the past few years... and believe me when I say nothing is more brutal than a 2-minute interview with about five usable words.

Ultimately, I think it's good for business. Given the talent and propensity of Asian players, there's a good chance one of them will rise to the top spot in the rankings in the near future. With the LPGA fighting an uphill battle as it is, it makes sense that their top players be able to communicate at least effectively.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The alternative is to keep playing tournaments in markets such as Springfield, Ill., Tulsa, Rochester, Rogers, Ark., and Prattville, Ala. (some of their stops this year), have about three tournaments on network TV and crappy ticket and corporate hospitality sales.

And PS: I don't cover the LPGA so this is third-hand. But I've had enough golf writers who get to LPGA events who say the Koreans, as a group speak English a lot better than they let on. Some of them hide behind the perceived language barrier so they won't have to talk to the media.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Why can't reporters learn Korean? Lazy asses.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo,
    I don't disagree that it's in everyone's interests for the foreign born players to learn English. Really, it'd be stupid not to.

However, this is a rather ham-fisted policy and makes the LPGA look like a bunch of xenophobes.
    About the only thing left out is a good old USA! USA! USA! chant.

And I wouldn't be surprised about knowing more English than they pretend to.

Draft saved Draft deleted