1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LPGA says all players must learn English

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Seahawk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3553888

I thought this story was interesting, especially since the Korean players interviewed seemed to support the measure. Players have to learn enough English by the end of 2009 to do simple interviews.

What would happen if MLB required all players to learn English as a requirement to keep playing?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

MLB probably wouldn't have a case, but I think the LPGA does. They can say it's part of the players' jobs to promote the tour by doing media interviews. A baseball player's job is to play baseball. There is a lot of precedent for the league not caring if players don't talk to the media, so they would be hard-pressed to make that stick.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seems absurd, but I guess it just shows how fucked the LPGA is for sponsors.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm not going to watch the LPGA more or less whether or not Si Ri Pak* does an interview herself or through a translator.

* I admittedly don't know if she speaks English or not, she's the only Asian female golfer I could think of.

5. Mizzougrad96

Based on what I read it made it seem like the sponsors are getting pissed that the person who wins the event can't give a speech in English.

I also can't help but think there had to be a better way to go about this rather than make it a mandate.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Who isn't f*cked for sponsors these days? I can't find fault with the LPGA for this. Players that can't communicate with pro-am partners and thank fans/sponsors after a win are of no value whatsoever to a tour, any tour. Like it or not, you gotta do more than just play the game nowadays.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First-place prize money: $10,000
    Bonus for giving post-match interview in English: $490,000

That'll do the trick.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

YOU ONLY COVER US WHEN WE SPEAK IN ENGLISH!

9. Mizzougrad96

Agreed.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chico's all for it

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Having covered the LPGA, it's extremely frustrating to have to go to the media relations folk and ask every freaking time you go to do an interview if the leader speaks English, or if her caddie does, or if there's an interpreter on site, etc., etc.

At least half the Tour is Korean, so there's a coin-flip shot your leader will be one.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Give the LPGA ten years and they'll mandate that all the players be fluent in Korean

Draft saved Draft deleted