1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LPGA major

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Apr 1, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I don't think Pressel is jealous, she's just wondering, much like I do, what Wie has done to deserve so much attention. Don't get me wrong Wie is an exceptional player who has won some big amateur events, but until she cuts this playing in men's tournaments crap she'll never be a dominant player on the LPGA.

And with Pressel and Paula Cramer both very young that could be the greatest group of female players playing at the same time.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

It's amazing the crap you find on the internet...

http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/image2/wie_poot.jpg

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

See! Wie can't fart without some sort of media coverage! [/morganpressel]

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Was that art to accompany an AP "On The Fringe" story?

Let's just guess what will be the topic of "OTF" this week.

Masters coming up.... Tiger Woods??

Ya think?? :eek: ::) :eek:

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hondo, always remember: SF does NOT stand for San Francisco. :)

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's no time that you can schedule an LPGA major where it will be the No. 1 event on the sports schedule. Not enough people care about the sport for it to matter.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Michelle Wie won the Women's Public Links in 2003.

Name one more "big amateur event."

Know what? There isn't one that she's won.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, she won state tournaments and things like that.

It's kind of hard to win a bunch of "big" amateur tournaments when 1) there really aren't a lot of "big" ones and 2) the "big" ones do you play are men's tournaments and 3) you turn pro at age 16, having played mostly in selected pro events in the two years prior to that.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

BT, to be honest, she didn't win a whole lot of those, either.

She did win one Hawaiian Open.

She didn't play a lot of junior tournaments. She was always aiming further up.

And believe me, I think she's going to be a superstar. But she doesn't have a long, distinguished amateur record behind her, which is a criticism: That she hasn't learned how to win.

10. BTExpress

That's true, but I believe a distinction needs to be made that she didn't go something like 2 for 40 in women's amateur events.

She played a few, won a couple, then aimed higher.

That's pretty much the route the Williams sisters took in tennis by bypassing the juniors. And it was controversial at the time, too.

One line of thinking says you need to "learn to win." Another says you get better faster by playing better competition.

Neither is an absolute. Same for rookie QBs in the NFL. Some get destroyed if they are thrown in there too early. Others take their lumps and are better for it.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You don't get to be a better high school quarterback by getting your ass demolished in NFL games.

B.J. Wie and NIKE need to just stop the crap of having her play in men's tourneys. She's becoming a running joke.

Incidentally, I have always said she has the perfect right to do it. But it's making her look like an idiot, when she should be one of the rising stars of the LPGA tour. If I'm Michelle Wie, I start thinking about bringing an emancipation suit on the grounds of career mismanagement.

12. BTExpress

You're mixing apples and lugnuts.

Wie isn't a physically underdeloped person going from facing a high school opponent one minute to Ray Lewis the next.

Unlike football players, basketball players, baseball players and even tennis players, her only opponent --- ever --- is the golf course. And whether a classmate or Annika Sorenstam or Tiger Woods is in her foursome, it shouldn't have any effect on the shots she hits or her proficiency in hitting them.

The only drawback I see in her playing men's events is that she could really benefit from playing four days instead of two.

Draft saved Draft deleted