1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lowball offers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What's the worst low ball offer you've ever gotten from a job you were interviewing for?

I had to post this since I had one today.

So I guess I'll tell my story first. Interviewed for a job with a pro sports team to be a beat writing/web content manager. The sports team is located in the most expensive city in America.

The offer $11.00 per hour. And no moving expenses.

Are you kidding me? I'm not pulling down major wads of cash, and I've definitely had jobs that have paid less, but to move across the country and work for the same team paying players and coaches $8 million a year for 11 bucks an hour is absurd.

And no moving expenses? Even newspapers in their sad state offer moving expenses. What a joke. Okay, rant over. :-X

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

My first job, in 1997, I was paid $15K a year (I accepted it, because I was graduating in two weeks and my folks told me I was NOT moving home).

When I started looking around a year later because I couldn't afford to live on slave wages, I interviewed with a radio station in Illinois (the guilty shall remain nameless). Their offer was LOWER -- $14,400 a year + a few bucks (I think $35) for every game I called play-by-play for, which would probably add up to another $2-3K. I talked them into raising it to $16,800 base salary, and then turned it down.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I feel very fortunate that I don't have any stories that belong in the same league, let alone the same ballpark, with the first two posted here.

4. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Are you sure that team isn't run by Sam Zell or Lean Dean?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From what you described without seeing the job posted anywhere, at least it's not an internship. Most sports organization try to sell people on the fact that you need to start at the bottom and just work your way up from towel boy to GM.

As for lowball offers, try the Escanaba opening that I posted or Silver City, N.M.

Escanaba is $9.62/hr by my calculations and Silver City was $10.50/hr.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Not an offer, but I noticed that post about a gig in Cadiz, Ky (at 15K) would be $7.21 an hour if you actually only pulled 40 hours.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

However, this definitely isn't an entry level position, and requires writing skills and heavy computer knowledge.

9.62 in escanaba goes a hell of a lot further than $11 in a major metro area known for smog.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Back after graduation, I was sending stuff out all over, while working part time at K-Mart waiting for my ship to come in.

Paper from somewhere in Nevada called me back. We go back and forth, until it comes time for the money portion of the interview. I finally ask, and the response is "Well, our health care is fantastic. You wouldn't have to pay for A THING out of pocket."

Uh-oh.

They tell me they can go "as high" as 15K. I say "Um, no offense, but I'm pulling down more than that at K-Mart. Good luck, and thanks for calling."

Bad times.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had to go over the publisher's head to a regional VP for a $3 per week raise at my first job because they only allowed three percent (Ogden). I did it after they fired my boss and worked 53 straight days, between my regular one-man desk shifts and tabs.
    The VP turned to the publisher to say something to the effect of "He's the only person you've got left full-time and you're coming to me for three extra bucks a week?"
    The raise put me to $300 a week.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I got an offer from an Odgen paper in 2001 for 15K/yr. Sad thing is, I actually took the job for about 48 hours. Then less stupid heads prevailed and I pulled out. It took me another five months to get a job after that, but it was the wiser move in the long run (good luck building a salary history with that clunker of a first step)

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Hell, I started at $16K at a small-town scrapbook in 1989. I don't feel so bad now.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I was working PT at one of the larger SoCal dailies when I got my first job offer. It was cross country, for one of the better small papers with one of the better SE's around.

It was also for $290 a week. I was making more than that working 35 hours a week PT, albeit in much more expensive SoCal.

I probably should have pulled the trigger, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted