1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low-speed car chase involving $100K Bentley in L.A.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 10, 2009.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

More from the WhiteBentley twitter account:
    RT @BreakingNewsOn: Los Angeles PD official confirms there is no celebrity inside the white Bentley; standoff continues. -> WTF?!?!?!

The response:
    Let's add it up. 432 Twitter followers. 50 television cameras. 25 police cars. I am a celebrity, bitch!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reading the twitter posts is truly sad and pathetic. I shudder that so many news orgs have adopted these things as "tools."

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, what's even more pathetic is the TV anchors on KABC who said, "People are speculating that it's ... a person of significance. We're not going to mention ... who it is, who they're speculating about, because it's just ... speculation. But a lot of people are twittering [sic] and they think, we're not going to name names, but they think that it might be, the speculation is ... that it's a person ... of significance."

I'm sick of media types who seem so desperate to be a part of their "hip" audience, but not having a clue how to use the tools.

If you don't know what Twitter is, then don't acknowledge it in a half-hearted way on the air. Otherwise, you come off looking pathetic.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think the ABC anchors are guilty of wanting to be hip, or not knowing about Twitter (Twittering is a verb I've heard before), as much as they're guilty of holding off on mentioning just who the person of significance allegedly is.

They're really going out of their way to avoid putting a name out there. Playing it too safe, in my view.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

SWAT trucks on the scene; cops at the car.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, if they were hip, they'd know the verb is "tweeting". ;)

And I don't have a problem with them not mentioning a name. After all, they haven't confirmed that fact (and neither have the cops, etc.) That's basic journalism and Twitter is not journalism.

What I have a problem with is: if media organizations want to be a part of the Twitter community (or whatever other new and hip online tool they just discovered), then be a part of it. Don't half-ass it, and start a profile without knowing how to use it or by using it sparingly. As it is, KABC has been covering this story since 8 p.m. and have exactly one "tweet" about it, and that was more than an hour ago.

It just smacks of "we've got a new tool! let's twitter!"

Except, umm, nobody's quite sure what to do with it. Just makes 'em look desperate, IMO.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

He's gotta be dead. The cops are backing off without dragging someone out with them.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. TV says the cops "are not in a tactical position." Both doors are open now and they're just milling around.

EDIT: Now my video feed from KABC just went off.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yeah. Yay for live feeds on TV news websites.

I'm sure by the time I wake up, there will be a zoomed-in video of the final moments.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

and insert somber sounding anchor trying to act like they're trying not to be exploiting a tragedy (here)

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fox 11 still has a feed up online, with a producer or somebody talking (not sure if she realizes the mic is on.)

They just brought the driver on a stretcher into the ambulance. She said, "well, they're not working on him."

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/Bentley_Stopped_after_Pursuit

Dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted