1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low Paying Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Jul 20, 2006.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Sorry, thought this was a Singleton thread.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No use, really, dragging you into the wayback machine to 1977, when I started in radio at $125/wk. Within a year, after an interim stop at a weekly, I started in Nashville at $175/wk. And I thought I was rolling in cash at that point.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I made more money mowing grass for rich people when I was 15 than I made in my first journalism job.

4. batts

batts Member

Central Texas (resort town), 1992, $325 a week. Apartment was $600 a month. Do the math. The pay was less than what my two college jobs paid me.

I learned a lot and like FNF said, there was no one there to teach me a damn thing. You have to learn from your own mistakes (assuming you find them) and make the move up as soon as possible. A year later I jumped ship for an extra $55 a week to a place where editors helped me tremendously.

5. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

lol

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Started first full-time gig in 2003 as SE for weekly chain in Chicago 'burbs making $24,500. Was bumped to $27K in six months, was making $30K before leaving for the daily world last October.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't miss these days:
    In 1990, I made $8.88 an hour and put my wife through grad school...in Los Angeles!
    How the hell did we do that? I have nightmares about a lot of Top Ramen and tuna.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The $22,000 CDN I made three years ago is actually starting to sound a little bit better, although I still think we're bitterly underpaid at this paper. I guess it's the 60+ hours a week, and that story I used to tell about how people on Employment Insurance actually made just $5 less than us a week. I know I'm barely scraping by, so my kudos to you guys who were making much less.

9. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

As recent as 2001, JRC New England cluster starting pay 8.50

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

My first job out of college paid me $60,000. It was with the New York Times.

I wish

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

He also did some things with books, like those "As Told To" sort of things. I remember some of his stuff and, thinking back, he seemed like pretty much of a hack.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

You may want to look at the thread i just started on having a blog/biz on the side of your full-time job. There's a great article about it in the NYT today.

In this day and age, $23,000 is a joke to live on, i dont care where you are.
    401k?
    IRA?

When ESPN.com is giving Wright Thompson $170,000 to write online and for the mag and do a few TV apps ...

Draft saved Draft deleted