1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low Paying Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Jul 20, 2006.

1. journalist68

journalist68 New Member

What did your first job pay?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can. First full-time job after college I was paid $13,000/year.

In 2001.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

wow... i was rolling in it when i started at $16.5 in '98

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No kidding.

If you add the hourly wages at my first two gigs (started in 1999), you get $16.5.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I know we all make jokes on here about qualifying for food stamps and low-income housing, but I wonder how many in the biz - professionals with degrees - actually get the assistance they qualify for. I don't know that my ego could handle it.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

$15,600 at my first newspaper job, and since I had no idea what I was doing, looking back, I probably was overpaid. That said, I've always viewed it as patently wrong that guys start out pushing brooms at the local factory for more money than many of us make.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I probably made about $20,000 to $22,000 starting as a full-time clerk at a larger paper.

It's a crapshoot because you have to hustle for writing opportunities, but may be better than substisting on road kill buffalo at some weekly in South Dakota.

8. lono

lono Active Member

My first full-time newspaper job way back in the era of hair metal and early John Hughes movies paid $10,660.

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

$200 per week out of college. 1984.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've worked with two journalists that got past their egos and signed up. Both had kids and one had a stay-at-home wife. I looked into it once but was making just over the limit to qualify for assistance. Of course they wouldn't take into account that my girlfriend was unemployed and we were both scrapping by on my income. Had we been married, I might have gotten some help. I'm not sure that when it came down to signing on the line, that I could've let myself take government assistance. But we sure as hell were broke.

11. Grey

Grey Member

wow! same date, same pay. SE (meaning Sole Employee for sports) at a small daily.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'll always be grateful for the $23,000 I started with. Who'd have thought a small weekly in Oklahoma would pay so well?

Draft saved Draft deleted