1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low-class journalism during Ryder Cup week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 19, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=405901&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

This derision by British Isles tabloids against U.S. players' wives isn't new. At the 1999 Ryder Cup, a British paper took a picture of the U.S. wives and European wives sitting together at the opening ceremonies. The U.S. wives had decided to wear the same outfit. Most of them were blonde. The Euro wives are wearing different outfits. The headline read: "Our girls go 1-up on U.S. Barbies."

It's one of the ways, the Brit tabs tweak the U.S. They find some fascination with the fact that rich U.S. golfers might actually marry hot women. They also conveniently ignore the multiple wives and girlfriends of Euro Ryder Cuppers such as Colin Montgomerie, Nick Faldo and Sergio Garcia, and that Padraig Harrington is married to the hottest blonde on either side of the ocean.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

You're getting way too upset about this. It's the British tabloids -- they tweak everybody. Run a search on "WAGs" and "World Cup" and see how reverent and respectful they were about Posh Spice and the rest of England's soccer wives/girlfriends.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes and, as you know, this thread is useless without pictures. So share your collection of Mrs. Harrington photos.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't have any photos, nor do I know how to post them. But I've seen her in person -- trust me, she gives Elin Woods a run for her money in the looks and bod department.
    Maybe someone more compuer saavy can help.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm more computer saavy, but I'm totally not golf saavy. Is this the right woman?

[​IMG]

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Sorry, based on the picture, she ain't in Elin's class.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

you're right hondo. it isn't anything new. it may have been the same ryder cup in 1999 when one english writer felt it necessary to poke fun at jim furyk's "hook nose" and his resemblance to "ichabod crane."

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Was that before or after Furyk pounded Sergio Garcia 4 and 3 that year?

9. Think anyone has the stones to ask Tiger how his wife's chest compares to the "imposter" photos?
    Could he produce photos for us to examine for ourselves? Strictly as professionals of course!

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You know what's going to be fun? When the Ryder Cup gets stopped for days by, I shit you not, Tropical Storm Gordon. Or at least the extratropical version of it. The Isles are supposed to get hammered in a couple of days.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

They were saying Gordon could extend the Ryder Cup to Monday.

12. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Hondo,

As badly as the tabloids may treat the American Ryder-Cuppers, the fact is that they generally treat their own worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted