1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low carb or low fat diet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 28, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If you can't go it on plain water alone, or can't wean yourself off soda-pop, try a lightly flavored seltzer or spring water. Check to make sure it's not artificially flavored, and that it has no sugars or chemical sweeteners, though. But plain water's best.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Too simple.

Body chemistry varies in each individual....so those calories can be expended easily or painfully, depending on how you're wired.

You can eat a big 300 calorie bagel, low sugar, low fat...but it digests as if it's pure sugar, and then your blood sugar drops, and you're hungry again. Or you can eat an egg white omelette with tomatoes and mushrooms, same calories, but pure fuel, doesn't mess up your blood sugar, requires more calories to digest.

It's all a big chemistry experiment. My body can't handle sugar. I can manage fat, but not sugar. And as much as I love sugar, I love being thin even more. So I quit all the white junk, and soda (although I still get into chocolate, because who are we kidding here, life's too short)....and I completely lost all desire for it. Like it was a drug and I had to detox.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This is the Weight Watchers approach. Slow, steady, and reasonable. Lot of water, fruits and veggies, mixture of dairy and oils, carbs (whole wheat bread, good carbs) in moderation, increase your exercise.

You can eat most things, just in reasonable amounts. Eliminate unnecessary fats (mayo, high-calorie dressing, etc.). You shouldn't ever be starving, or craving. Write down everything you eat, and watch your points. Diet soda is OK, but water is better. I have a light beer or two one or two times a week, and can have cheese pizza once in a while, just not half the pie with pepperoni, like before.

It works; 13 pounds since Aug. 28 and no craving, with plenty of energy. Another seven to go to hit the goal, and then I'll go from there and see if I want to drop another 5-10. Low-fat yogurt mixed with bananas and a cup of Kashi Crunch for breakfast will last all morning and only cost you 6-7 points.

First cold day today in Microville. Tried on my jeans, which had been snug before being put away last spring. Very pleased with the results, and I have a few more target pairs that are still snug I want to fit into before November.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sound advice from many on here.

One addendum I'd like to throw in is the 24-7 gym. I joined one that opened recently near my house a few months back and I no longer have ANY reason not to get a workout in on a given day/night.

Some days I'm in there in the afternoon before heading into the office; on others I stop in after work, around 1 a.m. Although those late-night workouts are sometimes hard to come down from when you're trying to sleep, I'll take that trade-off any time. Plus, usually the later you're in there the better the chance no one else is around and you can have the run of the place.

All it requires is a regular commitment. Do a half-hour on the treadmill one day, an hour on an elliptical the next, mix in some weight machines and be smart about what you consume. You'll be amazed how quickly the weight will come off, and how happy you'll be with yourself once it does.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted