1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low carb or low fat diet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Just Diet.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Drink water.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

No. Not even. Like 21 just said, water.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can drop 10 pounds in two weeks going low-carb...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

And then put 20 back on.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Bingo, bingo, bingo! There are waaaaaaaaay too many fad-diets out there that capitalize on actual fact, then preach it like that is the only way to go in order to sell product. There's a saying in my family: too much of a good thing isn't good either. Here are some of the things I've been doing:

• Eliminate as many processed sugars from the diet as I can
    • Breakfast cereals consist of Cheerios, Wheaties, Total & the like, with Honey Nut Cheerios being an occasional treat
    • Smoothies are a great way to mix fruit into your diet
    • Have three main meals a day with at least two snacks spaced out so your body's energy level doesn't turn into a roller-coaster
    • Get a good amount of protein in your diet, but be easy on the lunch-meats
    • Hit the gym for 1-1/2 to 2 hours a day, 5 or 6 times a week. Plan it out, make sure you have proper form, and switch up the exercises every six weeks or so
    • Down a protein shake within 30 minutes of finishing your workout, which allows your body to maximize the protein synthesis into muscle
    • Take steroids and be trained by JDV. He'll show you proper form
    • Once a week, don't hit the gym and eat whatever the hell you want. It'll keep you from going crazy.

Green tea is fantastic. Also helps reduce stress levels a lil' bit.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if you eat like a dipshit afterwards...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Dropping your carb load causes many to do so ... you need carbs. You only need to eat healthy carbs, as 21 pointed out ... not eliminate them.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Low fat!

Don't just think about weight. Think about the potential for yo-yoing (you will if you go low carb) and thing about heart health (as well as the fact that a high-fat--bad fats--diet contributes to other things, including cancer). I actually eat a ton of carbs (have always eaten low-fat), but my weight is more a function of how much I eat and my activity level. Just cut bad fats out of your diet and you will inevitably lose weight and feel much better. I don't expect others to do this, but I eat no meat, no dairy, no egg and never cook with oil. VERY occasionally I will add some olive oil (and I am talking a tablespoon or two at most) to something. You can get great flavor from food without adding fats--and you will get enough fat naturally. In addition to going low fat, if you want to lose 10 to 15 pounds, increase your activity level. Run, run, run. Over the last month, I have reduced my calories slightly and I have ramped up how many calories I burn off each morning. A while back I had a concussion that put me out for a bit and it was amazing how much weight I put on quickly. I was up between 170 and 175, I think (when some SJ people met up in NY because of Jones). Normally, I am around 165 or so (What the people in Toronto saw). I haven't weighed myself, but I'd guess that right now I am low 160s and possibly 160 and I think I can get to 155 to 160 and have the lowest percentage of body fat I have ever had--at age 39! The major changes I made: 1) I used to not eat all day and then eat a big meal at night. Now I stretch out my eating throughout the day. I have some grapenuts or hot cereal for breakfast and a tall glass of concentrated fiber mixed in water. Then I snack on raw veggies and an apple during the day. And then I eat a smaller dinner and eat it a bit earlier--usually rice and beans, or rice and homemade chili, whole wheat pasta and veggies or a stir fry (no oil). Stuff like that. I am not starving myself, but have cut back on calories slightly. 2) I am burning off more calories. I have been running harder and farther and have built up to where I am doing a core-strengthening program that is starting to show results.

I guess that was a long-winded way of saying that it's kind of a simple formula. Take in less than you burn off and you'll lose weight. But if you are exercising harder, you will want your carbs. There are smart ways to do this. Eating a little bit frequently seems to help the metabolism keep firing (in my short experience, with my changes) and going low-fat is just plain healthier for you.

10. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Where's JDV when you need him?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

When we're doing the low-carb thing here, we wrap it in a lettuce leaf. Mmmmmm, green, crunchy water.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There is one tried and true formula for losing weight, and it has been around since the beginning of time:

Amount of calories expended > amount of calories taken in.

Simple as that.

Draft saved Draft deleted