1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread (UPDATE: up to seven with Whisenhunt)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread

The Parcells Tree has done quite well... Belichick's, especially when it comes to Patriots assistants, has been pretty awful. I have no problem with O'Brien getting a shot at a NFL HC job, but at some point people need to realize that Belichick's brilliance isn't getting passed on to his assistants.

2. Mizzougrad96

Schefter has had a busy day.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whisenhunting for a new job.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Norv used up at least five of his nine lives there, it seemed. The ultimate Super Charger.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Everybody expected it happen after last year. I remember me and a couple of other Charger fans I know discussing how we wanted them to hire Fisher, just assuming at least Turner would be gone. Then a week later, Spanos announces he's keeping them aboard. Grrr.

Now we see where the Chargers go with this. Reid's name has been mentioned a lot, but I read a story yesterday where league sources said San Diego was going in another direction. I would like seeing Reid take over in SD, but I also think the earlier poster who said he oughta take a year off has a good point.

The one thing I don't want to see is the Chargers hiring Arians as HC. All due respect for the job he did at Indy this year, but I just don't see him as a full-time head coach. Remember in MLB when Gary Matthews Jr. had that decent season that was a career year by his standards, and the Angels signed him to a huge contract that was a huge disappointment? I think hiring Arians would be the NFL coaching equivalent to that.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Point taken, FB

7. Mizzougrad96

It is amazing that with all the talent they had in San Diego that no titles were won...

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess. At no time did I think the Chargers, in the last decade, was the most talented AFC team. They never the AFC's second-best QB, much less the best one.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He'll get one if he wants. Good coach. Rotten situation with quarterbacks.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Schefter says Whisenhunt joins Graves on the looking-for-work line.

So it's:

Lovie
    Reid
    Turner
    Gailey
    Shurmur
    Crennel
    Whisenhunt

Figure others in play are Rivera in Carolina and Dennis Allen with the Raiders (unlikely, but he was pretty overwhelmed this year).

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The 2006 team went 14-2 and kicked away the playoff game against New England when a defensive back didn't know enough to stop running before he fumbled. That was an excellent team that should have gone to the Super Bowl.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mularkey might be gone too, depending on who the new GM is.

Draft saved Draft deleted