1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread (UPDATE: up to seven with Whisenhunt)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread

I'm not crazy about this firing, though I understand it, as well. Nine years to get the offense on track, and he could never do it. Of course, he was lining up the Little Sisters of the Poor as an offensive line each week. Ten wins in the NFL is nothing to sneeze at, and without an Adrian Peterson late-game run yesterday to clinch things, I think the Bears would have been a dangerous playoff team with Brian Urlacher back. Oh, well. The Smith decision was a close call that could have gone either way. Essentially, the GM isn't the guy who hired him, and that gets you very little leeway.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. I think that's strange, too.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed, but I think they were quickly realizing that the team isn't going to get better with Lovie. This is a move that could be seen a similar to what they Bucs were doing when they dumped Dungy. Granted, the Bears might not be as far along as that Bucs team was, but I think this was a move done because they have a specific target in mind... Then again, they could fail to get that guy and wind up with some young coach who will be a disaster...

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Glazer said they've asked for permission to interview Denver's OC.

5. Mizzougrad96

McCoy is probably the hot assistant out there this year and probably deservedly so...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He's so good he was even able to make Tebow look like an NFL QB.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Potential to win quickly? Whoever comes in had better damn well win quickly -- as in immediately. This team was already winning, just not quite at a championship level. If the new guy takes a step back next season, the torches and pitchforks will be out in a hurry.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure I would go that far. But it would be a lot of pressure on someone who hasn't been a HC before. This job is better suited for someone who can come in and win now. There's no building that has to take place... You bring in a coach with a good offensive record and you use every pick in the draft and free agent money on offensive linemen.

9. Mizzougrad96

That would be an interesting one...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe The Bears will bring Mike Martz in as HC. He knows the players and worked well with Cutler. I know he would be popular with The Bears fan base.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think they should hire Josh McDaniels so he can run off Cutler and Marshall. :D

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The McCaskeys will hire the cheapest, lamest option possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted