1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread (UPDATE: up to seven with Whisenhunt)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 31, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears

This is way too big to sit un-headlined on the old coaching carousel thread.

It's a new day, a new year, for YGBFKM.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Lovie's out! NFL Black Monday thread

Wow.

How long until someone claims racism?

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I started this thread an hour ago. Mile High deleted it. Something tells me he'll let this one stay. ::)

4. Mizzougrad96

I kind of like the move, I'm surprised because it's not a move you would expect the Bears to make.

They need to make a huge hire. I have a feeling they may go after Reid.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jon Gruden once had a connecting flight through O'Hare so there is a hometown link.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not very long.

7. Mizzougrad96

They need to hire a coach who Cutler will respect. I think the two top jobs out there are this one and Philly, but this one might have the best potential to win quickly and that might be enough to attract someone like Gruden or Reid. They need to hire someone who can work with Cutler. Lovie wasn't that guy and when you do things like hire Mike Tice as the OC, you probably deserve to be fired.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

5 confirmed so far? Smith, Reid, Gailey, Shurmur, Crennel... Confirmation on Turner has to be forthcoming...

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Browns presser at 11:30 streaming live at ClevelandBrowns.com if anyone cares. :D

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You are always on the proverbial "hot seat" when you don't make the playoffs and the current GM isn't the one who hired you. The odd thing is the Bears don't have an obvious bad loss, every team they lost to is a playoff team. Of course, if you win at Minnesota or don't lose to Seattle at home, the Bears are in the playoffs and one of them is staying home.

11. Mizzougrad96

What I think is funny about this is that if the Vikings don't beat the Packers yesterday, he probably keeps his job.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine that Gruden won't be back on the sidelines next year with all those openings.

Likely that Chip Kelly will be joining the NFL ranks for coaches for next season.

Any chance that Nick Saban decides it's the right time to leave Alabama?

Draft saved Draft deleted