1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loveland (Colorado) Reporter-Herald seeks non-smoking page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Beat me to it.
    We're not in Siberia out here.
    I've worn shorts into the office in February. Put on a heavy jacket in late June.
    The weather is the most underrated part of living along the Front Range. This past winter, you were able to golf in every month. Year before, definitely not.

2. outdoors

outdoors Member

Loveland is one of the best towns to live year-round in Colorado. Lehman is an OK family owned newspaper that really invests a lot of their time in the Longmont paper, but Loveland isn't far behind. They built a new plant maybe five months ago in Longmont, so the papers have been doing fairly well. You just want to make sure you stay at either Loveland or Longmont in the chain, the weeklies and Canon City get ripped off. Trust me, I know.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I smell discrimination. smokers have rights too.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So sue 'em.
    Why do smokers get paid what I do when they work 3/4 as much? They ain't working on all those smoke breaks.
    Fuckabunchasmokers!

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thats bull. There are many smokers who don't take breaks and work very hard. In fact, I know of some guys who take more bathroom breaks than smokers.

6. Moderator1

Wouldn't know - I didn't keep track of bathroom breaks.
    Fortunately, no one on my staff smoked. I know every time I went through the smokers area, the same people were down there huffing away. And not working.
    Though I'm sure they worked very hard when they were not smoking.

The "smokers have rights" people are so full of it. They do not have a right to foul the air that others will breathe.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

But that doesn't give non-smokers the right to push their agenda on those who chose to smoke. Bottom line is this: If smoking individual doesn't interfere with the job performance or the health of those around him, there shouldn't be a problem.

8. Moderator1

Correct.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Wfw. I have the right not to breathe smoke in a public place.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

For argument's sake, if I am walking down the street, smoking a cigarette, do you think that gives you the right to tell me to put it out? If I am in a bar, in a smoking section, does that give you the right to tell me to put it out?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If I'm walking into a designated smoking section it's my own fault. I don't think it should be allowed in public. I don't want to deal with it, and I don't have to.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had a reporter who tried that crap on me about my smoke breaks (i usually took two 5-minute breaks during "production" time) and i shot back two counterpoints: 1) my smoke breaks were shorter than his time checking espn.com for no job-related reason, and 2) i was the boss.

Draft saved Draft deleted