1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loveland (Colorado) Reporter-Herald seeks non-smoking page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

From JJobs:

Allow me to ask two questions, and I will then yield the floor to my far more eloquent colleagues. The ad says "non-smoker preferred." Does it really make a difference if the best candidate or candidates smoke? What, are they afraid that a smoker will cause them to miss deadline?

2. jps

jps Active Member

don't wanna have to surrender all those smoke breaks, I suppose?

(after all, I don't take non-smoke breaks every hour)

edit: still, do find it odd, clearly.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Or maybe someone on the desk has severe breathing problems.

But I don't know if it's legal to put this in a job description.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Are you allowed to smoke indoors in Colorado? That's the only reason that comes to mind, as to why they would put that line in the ad.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why wouldn't it be legal? smokers (and i am a smoker) aren't exactly a protected group.

6. partain

partain Member

I once knew a rancher who had two rules. He wouldn't hire anyone who smoked or anyone who wore gloves. His reasoning: When you really need that person, he'll be off looking for his gloves or on a smoke break.

And no, you can't smoke indoors in Colorado. Smoke breaks would require the person to leave the building.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Which, during part of the year along the Front Range, would require an extra 10 minutes to put on cold-weather gear.

Anybody know the salary range?

8. jps

jps Active Member

also, family owned shop, might not want to put someone on insurance with that added bonus of potential lung cancer, etc.

9. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I think the number one reason they don't want a smoker is that smoking is bad for you.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Ding ding ding.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nothin' wrong with a pinch of Skoal, however.

12. JB20

JB20 Member

This made me laugh. Anyway ...

Loveland/Fort Collins is a great area. The paper does a nice job with local preps and Colorado State athletics.

Someone mentioned the weather being rough, but it's not in this part of Colorado. I'd take the weather there over almost anywhere in the country. I golfed in every month of the year when I lived in Fort Collins.

Draft saved Draft deleted