1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loved this exchange from the Ray Lewis Boston conference call

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, Nov 30, 2007.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I think he explained himself pretty well as to why he didn't want to answer such a trivial question.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No less trivial than any of the other petty squabbles that make 1B.

A nice lead notebook item, if nothing else.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ray Lewis gets no sympathy from me.

I think it would have been great if someone had said, "Well, Ray, can reflect on what it feels like, because there are other people who felt that way because of you?"

Live by the sword, die by the fricking sword.

He's a big baby.

If you don't want to talk, don't go on.

No criticism at all of the reporter here. The guy is doing his job.

Lewis should be in jail, not making snarky comments.

Me, bitter? Nah.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't blame the reporter for asking the question, and I don't blame Lewis for his response. It's not the reporter's problem to worry about how Lewis is going to feel about the question, and Lewis has no obligation to talk about something he doesn't want to talk about. So what?

That's just bidness, baby.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't believe I would ever side with Lewis over a reporter, but you have to here...

"Yeah, I know you just lost a close friend, but can you re-hash some month-old smack-talking with Adalius Thomas?"

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly right.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That isn't a dumb question at all. It's completely impossible to write a story about Thomas facing his old team without at least trying to address the Thomas-Ray Ray issue.

If Ray doesn't want to talk about it, fine.
    But if the reporter doesn't at least try to ask this "stupid question," then he isn't doing his job.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't think it's a stupid question for the reasons many have stated. I can see why people would think the timing was poor (I disagree) but what about the question was stupid?

This isn't gossip. Thomas made the initial comments to SI and Lewis responded on a radio show. He had no problem talking about it then -- quite passionately IIRC. Obviously it's going to be a story going into the game. The reporter has to write the Thomas vs. Ravens story, and this is obviously a big part of it. It's the only time they'll get to speak to Lewis. If he agrees to speak, how can they not ask him?

Is it trivial? No more or less than it would have been to talk about what a great season Tom Brady is having or how much the Baltimore offense has struggled or whatever else he might have deemed appropriate to talk about.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then Lewis shouldn't do the interview.

It's not right to characterize it as old, either, given that the teams are playing this week.

And Lewis was really the one to blow that mess up in the first place.

10. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

As the OP, I should have mentioned that Lewis actually went on to complete a full-length conference call Q-and-A session.

I just thought it was funny that the very first question so clearly treated his opening statement like so much "blah, blah, blah" and immediately tried to stir up the hype. Even if you have to ask the question, it doesn't have to be the first question, and if it had to be the first question, maybe it could have been approached from a "In light of recent events, is all the back and forth fighting between you and AD put into a different context?" angle.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd be just the big man to ask that question too. ::)

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This makes a lot of sense, but the reporter could have helped himself by waiting to see where things went before jumping right into the question he asked. But I'm solidly on the side of Lewis not having to answer this question as, and when, it was posed.

Draft saved Draft deleted