1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love the artist, hate the song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 21, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--Beatles: almost all the Whie Album. A bunca masturbation.
    --Queen: Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon. Freddie Mercury at his twee-est.
    --Rush: By-tor and the Snow Dog[/hicosmo]

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Tired of hearing Working Man live. There are other 1970s songs they could pull out.

Love The Trees. LOVE it. Drove four hours to the show in Moline, IL in 2008 just because they added The Trees to the set and I had never heard it before. OK, they also added Red Barchetta and Ghost of a Chance, but I wanted The Trees. Love the middle section, love the cheesy "Neil comments on society by way of Ayn Rand!" lyrics.

I think only WIESS, Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town are better overall. That said, it's not the most "enjoyable" album to listen to, and a couple of songs are either too forced (Valentine's Day), cover land he's treaded better at other times (Walk Like a Man), or are just plain ridiculous (Spare Parts). Have to be in the mood for it, either to be compelled by his take on relationships, or to laugh that Julianne Phillips could have used most of the lyrics in divorce proceedings.

But Brilliant Disguise, the title track, One Step Up, Two faces, Tougher Than The Rest, All That Heaven Will Allow, etc. . . . damn, he should pull out these songs live.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Bubbler mentioned something that rings true for me: I love classic rock, I was born and raised in NJ, but I don't like Springsteen.
    I've never been a fan. There a few songs I like, but on the whole I dislike Springsteen.

I also do not like Elton John.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Gotta stand up for the White Album. So "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" isn't a great song?

How dare you, sir! (Harrison Ford, "Clear and Present Danger")

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like Springsteen, but I wish he would quit shouting/laughing his way through his songs in concert. Doesn't have to be the studio version, but keep it close to the melody, at least. For example, on YouTube it's hard to find a live version of "Badlands," one of his best and most-searing songs, that isn't all but unintelligible because Springsteen turns it into some kind of joyous shout-out, and it's anything but that.

I guess it irks me because many of his songs are so powerful when done as they were written.

6. dooley_womack1

I believe I said, "most." I like Obla-di Obla-da a lot and Bungalow Bill, for example.

Anyhoo,
    --Joe Jackson, Breaking Us in Two.
    --Beach Boys, Be True to Your School, plus a ton of Mike Love-helmed stuff over the past four decades that I've never heard but would surely repulse me.
    --Supertramp, pretty much everything on Breakfast in America

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"The Trees" is great. The opposite of everything Rush has done since Moving Pictures.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I like Sweetest Thing.

Bullet the Blue Sky is the one I hate -- and they used to always play it live.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Shame, shame ... I like that one.

Anyhoo:
    "Whodunnit" - Genesis
    "All You Wanna Do Is Dance" - Billy Joel (Not only do I NOT want to dance, but this also is the only dud on an otherwise brilliant album in "Turnstiles")

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love 'The White Album.' the only song I can't listen to is 'No.9.'
    Love the rest of it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bands I like but don't ever want to hear again: Foreigner, Styx, Journey
    and REO Speedwagon. Thanks for the memories, but that was quite enough.

12. dooley_womack1

It feels like the first time anyone's said that, because the occasions I've listened to them, they've been the best of times. I guess you and those tunes can go their separates ways; I just hope you can roll with the changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted