1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love or hate the Yankees, this is cool: Bob Sheppard will return to The Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to go to Yankee Stadium this summer, and it'll be good hearing that voice announcing the starting lineups.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An enjoyable read, especially with the story of Sheppard getting the drunken Giant fans off the field.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Now returning to the microphone. The announcer. Bob. Sheppard. Sheppard."

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i believe i have the coolest of all bob sheppard stories, but it would too-easily out me to old-timer's. pm me if you'd like details.

but this is sensational news. what a voice!

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Hey spnited, what was Sheppard's first game like?

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The voice of God returns, in time to kick Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling out of the booth. I love old school announcers like Mr. Sheppard.

8. KP

KP Active Member

D3, you beat me to it. If God were to speak, there is no doubt he would sound like Bob Sheppard.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Doesn't the guy who serves as his fill-in basically just do a Bob Sheppard impression when he's on the mic? I always thought that was kind of hacky ...

10. KP

KP Active Member

The guy who does the Red Sox, Carl Beane, does his best to be Sherm Feller.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading about the Reggie Jackson story about Sheppard years ago, only I thought it was at Fenway Park.

I remember Sheppard telling the story of how Reggie thought he was on a first-name basis with everyone in the ballpark. So, while visiting the PA announcer, Sheppard was invited to work an inning. Jackson was the first batter, and after Sheppard announced him, Jackson jumped out of the box and starting looking around for Sheppard, finally spotting him in the booth.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It may sound somewhat ghoulish, but I'm hoping the Yankees have a couple of Sheppard's announcements on tape, something like "Welcome to Yankee Stadium" or something simple like that to give fans who never get the chance to hear his work while he's around , a chance to find out what they missed. When I went to the stadium a few years back I didn't care who was pitching, but I wanted to hear Bob Sheppard at the mike.

Draft saved Draft deleted