1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love & Mercy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Oh Hell Yes!
    Must. See.
    Love & Mercy a movie about Beach Boys genius Brian Wilson. Looks pretty good to me, but I am an unabashed Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan. I think Good Vibrations might be the greatest piece of music of the 20th century. It was groundbreaking - Citizen Kane of music groundbreaking - work.

Anyway ... John Cusak, Paul Giamatti and Elizabeth Banks. Yes.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see how Mike Love is portrayed.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Saw an ad for that last night. I can't wait to see how it comes out. Love the Beach Boys and Wilson, as well.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You should check out "Grace of My Heart" - a 1996 movie with Ileana Douglas playing someone kinda like Carole King who ends up getting involved with a music figure a lot like Brian Wilson. It's interesting if nothing else.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Cusack was on Nerdist today talking about this film. It sounds really interesting...

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm actually hoping for rain this weekend to make an excuse to the wife for us to go while on vacation. LOL

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The vacation part makes that slightly pathetic.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From the comments:

"Do you know who this man is?"
    "John Cusack?"
    "Well, yea, but right now we're pretending he's Brian Wilson, of the Beach Boys."

This movie could completely kick-ass, or it could be a train wreck. As a big Beach Boys/Wilson fan, I'm hoping for the former.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have a two-year old (and no family in the area, so babysitting is a chore to figure out), I work an opposite schedule of my wife and we never see each other.
    If that makes me pathetic. So be it.

10. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

I really enjoyed that Beach Boys special on TV from 15-20 yrs ago(?); this should be enjoyable as well.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No disrespect intended, chiqlet.

When you said you kind of hoped it would rain during your vacation so you could see the movie, I pictured you at the beach.

I've been there on the split shifts and 2-year-olds. In fact, I don't think kids evolve much between 2 and 18 as far as crankiness and ability to pick up after themselves.

Hell, for a STAYcation, you should do whatever the hell you want (as long as your wife agrees and preferably it's her idea).

Enjoy.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We saw it last night. I won't give huge spoilers, other than to say it isn't too far from what you are probably imagining.

It's a very good movie. ... it falls short of great. But I'd still recommend seeing it, especially if you are a Beach Boys fan or love Pet Sounds. It does a good job of capturing the "genius" of Brian Wilson, and the studio scenes are way more believable than those kinds of scenes often are in movies.

The performances are very good. Cussack and Dano are very good and Paul Giamatti, despite the world's worst wig ever, is pretty good. Surprisingly, Elizabeth Banks really stood out for me. Where they didn't go wrong -- they let the story take care of itself without getting in its way. They intertwined the periods in the 1960s and 1980s to set it all up and move it along, but they managed not to get too cute with that method. There is a definite message in it all -- the amazing things people can do despite how shitty people are; people overcoming obstacles, etc. It may have been a bit ham-handed, but not to the point of ruining the movie.

What I'd say is that it is a solid, but not great, movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted