1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love him or hate him, he's been around for 65 years ... Sid Hartman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 3, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who the hell is Sid Hartman?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure there are many in Minnesota who say that.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Today's sports hero... much like Sweet Lou from the Soo

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder if he heard from his close personal friends Bobby Knight & Lou Holtz today.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thass right, thass right.

6. As much as I joke about Sid, and there's plenty to joke about (the numerous "my close personal friend" references, copious numbers of errors, taking the term homer to the extreme), I still look forward to reading his column each time I buy the Star Tribune.

The guy has limitless resources and contacts, though his columns have morphed into little more than transcriptions of interviews.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That "co-worker" is Sid's editor-in-chief. Like the others he courts -- Knight, Holtz, Steinbrenner -- she's someone with power that Sid flits around like a moth to a light. She knows him as someone who now sucks up to her job title, even if he didn't when she was a lowly business reporter. So sure, she's going to like him.

Sid is the anti-Robin Hood in that way. He works hard to make the rich 'n' powerful (or athletically accomplished) feel more rich 'n' powerful, while having very little time for the average joe. Or in other words, fan or reader.

Just try introducing him to your wife or some buddy and watch as Sid looks over their shoulder, hoping to spy someone more important in the room.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sonner, you're a stiff and a jerk. My close, personal friend Gregg Doyel told me so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At a Super Bowl a long time ago, the last seat on the press bus was the one next to Sid. It was exactly like reading one of his columns. He talked about guys like Knight and Holtz for 30 minutes. He was very nice, and wasn't bragging to me or anything, but it was like it was all he knew.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Didn't I read where Hartman owned land under the Metrodome, or some other choice downtown space?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think he owned property downtown and got fat when The Brotherhood got fatter...

Draft saved Draft deleted