1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Apr 18, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who the fuck knows? I am guessing that Kevin Love knows more about what makes Kevin Love happy than 93Devil. Considering that talk of going pro has been mentioned by him or his camp since high school, going pro is what he has wanted to do. If he can get a three year guaranteed contract worth multi millions, why wouldn't he take it?

Stay around college for free another year, and he does nothing but let scouts tear his game apart. We've seen it happen before.

I am guessing 93Devil does not have a gauge on whether Love is happy now, and certainly doesn't have a gauge on whether he will be happy a year from now.
    Also laffing at your assertion that "he doesn't need the money". Oh really? An adult male who wants to go out into the (highly lucrative) work world, and 93Devil doesn't feel the guy should? Amazing that 93Devil feels he knows what Kevin Love should do better than Kevin Love. Including his personal finances.

If one kid was able to stay in college and bring some life to NCAA hoops it was him.
    I don't think it's Kevin Love's responsibility to bring life to NCAA hoops at 20 grand a year, even though 93 Devil feels it is.

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Word. For. Word.

And I'm a UCLA fan, through and through. I hate seeing Love go. I personally think he could use another season in college to hone a few things. But if his ultimate dream is to play in the NBA and, by all accounts, a team is willing to draft him in the lottery, why shouldn't he fulfill that dream?
    I'm sorry but, while we may love sports and love watching certain athletes compete, they're not out there for us. We just have the privilege of watching them work.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm 100% with Poin on this.

Why should he stick around for another year of what's basically indentured servitude?

And as, Poin says, if he gets a multi million guaranteed contract, why would he want another year playing against kids? .

It's not as if he OWES the NCAA anything.

I mean, he can always go back and finish university.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If he's good enough for a guaranteed, first-round contract, and he wants to go, then he should go. And no one should give him shit for it.

He's an adult, and this isn't exactly a horrendous decision. He's not getting an agent, so we'll see. He could come back.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

93Devil, maybe you should write Kevin Love a letter and explain in heartfelt terms why he should walk away from millions of dollars because you would prefer to watch him play college ball than professional ball. Tell him the part about how he doesn't really need the money. That should do it.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, so everyone here is fine with him coming out, then high school seniors should be able to go into the NBA draft as well.

Heck, I know an eighth grader with tons of upside. He should just get an agent now and drop out of middle school. The pros can just pay him 50K a year for four years until he is able to shave.

Love was possibly a kid to go against the trend and stay in school. That is what ticks me off. Many of these kids are dirt poor, so I do not fault them for going after the money.

I know it is his life, and he can do with it what he wants, but the NBA and the NCAA should look at their product as well. For the good of the NBA and for college basketball, it is better for these players to stay in school.

If anyone thinks college hoops is better today than it was in the 1980s and 1990s, they are to that opinion. I know ratings are high, but imagine what they would be like if Love or Beasley at least stayed for three years?

The greatest PR machine for the NBA is the NCAA.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I know my interest in the NBA started to wane when HS players and freshmen started going straight to the draft. I used follow players for years in college, then track them in the NBA. One of my favorite trivia games to play with friends was to name the college of every starter for both teams. I can't do that anymore.

In a way, early entries ruined both the college and pro game for me.

8. poindexter

Oh for fuck's sake.
    It's not Kevin Love's job at 20 grand a year to ensure the entertainment quality of the NCAA product. The NCAA and UCLA have ridden him like a mule for 12 months for 20 fucking grand.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For "the good" of the NCAA? You're kidding, right? There shouldn't be any artificial barrier that keeps anyone who's talented enough from earning a pay check by playing professionally. In any sport.

If the NCAA wants or needs to keep these kids so badly, it should compete for their services rather than conspire with leagues to create rules that financially benefit everyone but the athlete.

10. poindexter

Here's an idea: How about the leeches who run the NCAA and the leeches pay them hundreds of millions team up and figure out how to solve 93Devil's problems. Instead, 93Devil wants the guy earning a $20,000 scholarship to provide the answers.

http://www.ncaa.org/partners/partners.html

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

True that. Any kid who has the opportunity to jump should do it.

Besides, the NCAA will somehow recover. College basketball will collectively have freshmen phenoms to hype up every year.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can understand everyone's arguement against mine, but I will never be in favor of giving a 19-year-old multiple millions of dollars when they could be maturing in college or in a developmental league.

Draft saved Draft deleted