1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Loutallica" releases first song, fans of both artists are mystified

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good God, that song was awful. What's next, a Leonard Cohen-Slayer collaboration?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm holding out for Judy Collins and GWAR.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Enter Night, Mick Wall's new bio of Metallica (highly recommended BTW) rightly rips most everything the band has released since the Black Album. To me, the most consistent thing they have released since Black would be Garage Inc. which was all covers.

Listened to this Lou Reed thing again, this just sounds horribly misguided.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The period from shortly after St. Anger to the Death Magnetic tour produced some damned good concerts. They basically went back to meat and potatoes and really chucked a lot of the stuff after And Justice For All out of the setlist. Hell, I have one show on CD somewhere where they played the entire Puppets album. I don't think anyone complained that stuff off the Loads or St. Anger didn't get in the setlist.

And if you missed Death Magnetic, it fit right in with the first three albums. Also produced an amazing video no one saw:

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That Sabbath album belongs. Bark at the Moon is a lot better than the stuff Ozzy put out for the rest of the 1980s. The Ultimate Sin and No Rest for the Wicked should have been on that list instead.

The Iron maiden album on there isn't exactly crap.

Chinese Democracy isn't anything special, but it's not as bad as many want it to be.

Load and Re-Load would have been better as a single album. At least half of Re-Load was songs that shouldn't have made it past the demo stage.

St. Anger was a transitional album, on which they tried to return to roots," but aside from about two or three songs, it's a miserable failure. It sounds like a band trying to reach for a certain sound, and unfortunately hitting the mark. What, is there a rule that every song has to be repetitive, and include a stupid slow part in either the verse or chorus? It's not the worst album I've ever purchased (Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill, Springsteen's Working on a Dream, and Re-Load contend for that crown), but it's far from the best. They abandoned it midway through its own tour . . . I guess it was their Working on a Dream.

I hope to be gifted a copy of this Loutallica thing. Very low expectations. And the cover grosses me out.

I think when it comes to Metallica, you're stuck in the news from a decade ago. The Napster controversy is long forgotten, and the last Metallica album was very, very good, a legitimate comeback.

In other words, they still play sold-out shows all over the planet (just played Rio, with Saudi Arabia and India on the docket for this fall), and their fanbase remains pretty fanatical. Most bands would love to "alienate" people in such ways.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have some boots from that period too and however spotty the boys have been in the studio they have always delivered on stage whenever I have seen or heard them.

7. Mizzougrad96

They played to a half empty arena here within the last year or two. A decade ago they would have sold out the football stadium across the street.

Yeah, they do great overseas... So does Hasselhoff.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Carly Simon and Accept

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Mizzou, I respectfully must call Bullshit.

Name the arena.

Let me help:

They haven't played arenas stateside in nearly two years. There was a special event in Santa Monica for a Call of Duty party. They also played a special event in San Francisco at the Moscone Center for a company whose name escapes me. Obviously, that wasn't exactly a show chock full of Metallica fans.

As part of the Big Four, they did draw 60,000-plus - including me - in Indio, CA (Coachella's venue), and filled Yankee Stadium a couple of weeks ago. But I'm sure those crowds were there to see Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer.

http://www.metallica.com/tour_date_list.asp?year=2009&page=2

http://www.metallica.com/tour_date_list.asp?year=2010&page=1

http://www.metallica.com/tour_date_list.asp?year=2010&page=2

http://www.metallica.com/tour_date_list.asp?year=2011

So what part of Australia/Europe/Asia do you live in? Oh, wait . . . all the shows in those places were sold out too.

Are there empty seats in the upper decks at some shows? Sure. Welcome to the recession. But a "half-empty arena"?

Again, name the arena.

10. Mizzougrad96

You can call whatever the fuck you want. I was there. There was not a single person in the upper deck and the lower area was not full. The floor was, but I've seen Metallica before where there were more fans in the arena when Faith No More or whoever the opener was playing.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

She's got her balls to the wall?

12. Mizzougrad96

It was early 2009. You want more details, PM me. I'm not outing myself to win this argument. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted