1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisville's Brohm going pro?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Interesting column in today's Courier Journal about Brian Brohm going pro.

As much as I hate to see it, he has to go if he has a shot. He has all the tools and can make all the throws.

Thoughts?

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061213/COLUMNISTS02/312130044/1002/SPORTS

2. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

If he can be no worse than the third QB taken, he should go. No-brainer.

Very good column; made some intelligent points.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Man, reading the comments from the U of L fans in the feedback is amazing ... I love a fan base with a disproportionate sense of entitlement.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched way more Louisville than I would have guessed I would before the season... and I love Brohm. Picking QBs who will make good pros is a crap shoot. It's why Tony Romo goes undrafted and Kyle Boller goes in the first round. But if I had my pick of any current collegiate QB and I was an NFL team, I'd take Brohm. Just something about him that makes me think he's going to be a steady pro. I love him compared to Brady Quinn.

That said, I don't think he's leaving based on his comments and conjecture I have read from people around him. I also don't think there is a ton of downside to him staying. If anything, he boosts where he is taken. Right now, he's probably looking at the middle to lower half of the first round. If he stays, he gets to make a Heisman run and he's probably a top 5 or 10 pick, at worst.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Dave Ragone probably knocked himself down at least one round and subsequently out of the NFL by returning for his senior year.

Matt Lienart probably cost himself a few draft spots and a few million by coming back for one more title, which he didn't get.

There are people projecting Brohm to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. If he's a consesnus top five pick, then the economics dictate that he must go pro. There's simply too much to lose at this point.

Yes, if Brohm and Bush return for one last hurrah, then Louisville is a bonafide title contender, perhaps even a preseason No. 1 team. But Brohm has yet to play an entire season as a full-time starter and all it takes is one more injury to knock millions out of his wallet.

I'd be happy if he stayed, but he'd be crazy to do so.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been having the conversation with anyone, so maybe I am just wrong... But is he a consensus top 5 pick? If the draft happens this week, I would have guessed first rounder, but mid to late. I may not be reading sentiment correctly, so please...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Still, a mid-to-late first round pick is outstanding money, and hell probably a better situation than he would get by going to Detroit or where ever else. Having not paid that much attention to him I figure durability would be a concern, since he gets hurt every year. But if he comes back quickly from fluke injuries, maybe that bodes well. I know he's a hell of a QB and there aren't a lot of guys, especially in college, you can say that about.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Considering that Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Green Bay all need quarterbacks, and that they're going to be drafting high, I would like my chances.

9. Freelance Hack

Sporting News has him projected as the No. 1 pick. Take that FWIW. Others have him as the second or third QB chosen, which would likely mean a top 5-10 pick. Haven't seen or heard anything from Kiper.

Of the teams Oz mentioned, only Tampa Bay would really be desirable, considering that Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers in waiting -- will Green Bay consider cryogenic freezing Rodgers if Farve decides to play another year or two?

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I wonder if he'd be swayed by watching his backfield mate shred a leg after not declaring for the draft.

11. Freelance Hack

Yeah, that's a factor, too. As is his knee injury from last year and his thumb injury this season.

If he's a borderline first rounder, then I think he stays. But if he's projected higher (i.e. top 10 pick) then the risk outweighs the reward of coming back.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There would be a touch of irony if Brohm ends up in Tampa to succeed Chris Simms, considering Matt Simms is Louisville's top QB recruit.

Draft saved Draft deleted