1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisville tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Feb 27, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in Louisville March 3-6 for business. I was just wondering if there was anything I absolutely HAVE to do while I'm in the city. Is there any place I have to eat, drink, whatever?

I'll be working 6a-6p, so I won't have the most free time in the world, but I also don't know when I'll ever be there again, so I want to get as much a feel for the city as I can.

Also, there's a UL/UC game while I'm there. Are there usually people scalping tickets? Would I have to pay an arm and a leg? Is it a must-do expereince anyway?

I know very little about the city, so I'm curious.

Thanks.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Check out Fourth Street Live, if you have a chance. Plenty of restaurants in that area.

And the Slugger Museum, too. Cards tickets may be easy to come by the day of the game. Not sure how much they'd sell for outside the Yum Center, but that's an awesome place to watch a game.

3. the fop

the fop Member

Echo Fourth Street Line. Particularly like the Makers Mark restaurant.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have dinner at Porchini and ask for the Rick Pitino table.

Killick likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Racing doesn't start until April 27.
    Postpone the trip.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Drive 30 minutes into Indiana and go to Caesars Indiana.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not sure I'll be heading into Indiana. I won't have a rental car, a coworker will, so I don't want to rack up too big of cab fares. I'll definitely make sure to check out Fourth Street. I have 4 dinners to figure out, so keep the restaurant suggestions coming :).

8. printit

printit Member

If you want to stay in the downtown area, Jeff Ruby's.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Slugger Museum is a must. Just a fun place to visit, for any age, no matter your level of interest in baseball.

The Muhammad Ali Center was also great last time I went, but they were doing construction at the time and I have no idea what it's like now. (I'm sure it's still great, though.)

Never had a bad meal at Bristol's; there's a couple locations, including downtown. Try the Hot Brown if you want a distinctly Louisville dish.

10. joe

joe Active Member

There's a famous (?) place for breakfast somewhere in Louisville that has a kitschy gift shop attached. It's where Jones bought his bacon wallet after we ate there one hungover morning six years ago or so.

Ali museum is worth the trip.

11. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

amreader,

Are you staying downtown? Doc Crow's is a good place to eat and it's a block from the arena.

If you go to Slugger Museum, make a stop in 21C hotel nearby. Lots of cool/fun stuff in the lobby area to check out.

A good, old/fashioned bar with some character is the Seelbach hotel bar. It's just on the south side of 4th Street Live.

Shouldn't have trouble getting a ticket or two for the game without paying an arm or leg.

The famous place joe referenced was Lynn's Paradise Cafe, but that recently closed.

For the true hot brown experience, get one at the Brown Hotel.

There are several Bluegrass Brewing Company micro breweries around, including one across the street from the arena. Food is only so-so, though.

A newish local favorite to eat and drink is the Blind Pig in the Butchertown area east of downtown.

I can hit you with more ideas if you want.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion, Louisville is one of the most underrated cities in America. I lived there in the late 90s and would love to go back.

All of the aforementioned places are great. The Seelbach Hotel bar is especially cool. Oozes with character.

I'll add the obvious ... the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs. Good visit even if you aren't into horse racing. Churchill Downs itself is just cool to walk through. It lost a bit of its charm when it was remodeled, but that's picking nits, it's still really cool.

Fourth Street Live hadn't been developed yet when I lived there. Bardstown Road was the place to be and it's still a good place to pub crawl. I loved plunking myself down at the Outlook Inn.

Draft saved Draft deleted