1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisville help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The closest caving is on the Indiana side of the river around Corydon, with Marengo and others.

Corydon also has a lot of cute, old-timey places if you're into that. (It's trading on its status as Indiana's first state capital.)

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Corydon's pretty cool.

If you have time and you're of the religious (Catholic) persuasion, the St. Meinrad Monastary is about 90 minutes west on I-64 in Indiana. Gorgeous.

Forgot about the Bourbon tour, good pick.

Fort Knox is also a short drive down Dixie Highway from Louisville.

3. occasionally

occasionally Member

Keeneland's a great call and only an hour away.

Unfortunately, you're going the first week of October. The Stones just announced a concert date at Churchill Downs on Sept. 29.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can take a tour of Churchill even if there isn't a meet happening.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't care for horse racing, but I enjoyed a tour of Churchill Downs.

The Lousiville Slugger factory was awesome, but make the note if you fly into Louisville (I know you said you were renting a car, but I didn't know if you meant to get there, or once you were there), you cannot take the bat you get with admission into your carry-on. You have to check that.

There's a cool museum across from the Slugger factory. I don't remember the name, but it had "arms" in it. Lots of gun stuff, including Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Stick."

The Ali center hadn't opened when I went, bummer.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but there isn't much to do there anymore. Last time I went through Fort Knox they had pretty much everything closed down, including the Patton Museum.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahem.

There is another General George S. Patton Museum in the unlikeliest of locales: Chiriaco Summit, Calif.

I know this because Chiriaco Summit is the only stopping point in about a 50-mile radius on I-10 somewhere in the desert between Palm Springs and Blythe, Calif. (at the border w/ Arizona.) I have stopped there every time I am driving from L.A. to Phoenix to fill up on gas, because, well, you don't have a choice. You have to stop there.

There is a huge-ass Chevron station, with a better-than-you-would-think local burger joint inside, and as-insanely-high-as-you-would-expect gas prices outside. Next door, there is a Patton museum. Having always been on the way to getting somewhere else when I stop in Chiriaco Summit, I have yet to step inside the Patton museum, even for a minute. But it looks really nice, and I'm sure it's worth an extra half-hour looking around if you're not in too much of a hurry.

[/end threadjack]

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

lol. but it's not the same as the one that's actually on fort knox. :p

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you're wanting to do the strip joints, you gotta do the Seventh Street Strip in lively Shively.

Another recommendation is the Bambi Walk, which actually has nothing to do with strip joints whatsoever.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One thing you can't do anymore is partake in the Toy Tiger.

Long may its cigarette-smoking neon tiger sign run. :'(

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest Caesar's Nice table games, and a good poker room. I haven't stayed in the hotel, but if you go at the right times, you can get good rates ($70/night?).

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Keeneland's fall meet opens Friday, Oct. 6.
    Just FYI.

Draft saved Draft deleted