1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisville Courier-Journal v. NCAA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Rules of Golf, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Agree completely.

But as has been noted, there are larger papers which pay attention from the opening pitch. Not many, of course.

Hell, it's even more insane that the NCAA chooses a sport which is far down the list as the one where it makes a stand regarding blogging in the press box.

2. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Can't argue with that. The funny thing is that I can't tell you how many times we've said of these in-game blogs while writing them, "Does anybody read this [stuff]?" Now all this attention. It is quite interesting.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stupidity - and hypocrisy - knows no limits when it comes to the NCAA.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Best guess is that the NCAA is floating this to see the reaction of the media and if they could extend this no-blogging rule on to college football and beyond.
    The C-J was just the trial balloon to see how it goes.

5. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

fuck the NCAA.

Have they sold in-game reporting rights (to a CSTV gametracker or an "official blog")? Thats just a bunch of bullshit. Especially on college baseball of all things. Hell, they may restrict in game blogging from the NCAA women's half assed rowing championships next...

A mass blog from Rosenblatt would be a nice way to do things. Would the NCAA really eliminate all their coverage, aside from the great WWL for this?

6. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

That would be interesting...a mass-blog exodus by the newspapers. That would be great.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's what I'm wondering. The game is out there and available on ESPN or ESPNU, and on gametrackers on several different sites. If fans are watching on TV and want to read someone's real-time take at the same time, what's the harm?

I cover college baseball for possibly the only daily in the country that has a full-time writer at all 56 regular-season games of the hometown team, home and away. We haven't done a blog yet, but it's coming. Obviously I'll be watching this case with interest.

8. rascalface

rascalface Member

It was Gene McArtor that kicked him out. He must still be pissed that U of L knocked Mizzou out of the tournament.

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Thank goodness I write for the Podunk Press. That's probably why nobody from the NCAA noticed me blogging from the biggest college football game of last season. They didn't notice our chief competitor doing so, either.

But you'd think they would have noticed the beat writer from the nearest major metro, who added to his blog throughout the game ... and did so every Saturday all season.

Or maybe this is a rule the pointy heads at the NCAA only recently came up with.

Sigh.

I remember when this job was fun.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought this comment at the end of the story was both hilarious and pretty true. Good job token reader who cares:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To the NCAA the issue is never about sports, it is ALWAYS about the MONEY sports generates. And this issue at Patterson Stadium and who's allowed to tell the public what's going on is all about MONEY. Oh, and the First Amendment BTW.

It is also the never-ending controversy about that organization's totally unrestricted power and how they constantly abuse it. It is blatant extortion to tell a school 'your hometown newspaper cannot cover this event via the internet IF you ever want to host another NCAA event again'.

I hope the C-J pursues this through the courts, that they win on obvious First Amendment bases, and THEN they follow up to see if the NCAA makes good on its threat against U of L.

It's long overdue for the NCAA to get a little smack-down action to be reminded they are part of a larger society that lives by a Constitution and legal system that the NCAA has to abide by just like everybody else.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ESPN has been pretty shrewd in buying up "rights" to sports. Anybody know if that includes "live" web rights?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I remain amused that reporters think the only place they can work from is the press box.

If it's so important, take your damn notebook out into the crowd, sit down, find a wireless connection (hook up to the web with a cell phone if you need to), and blog away.

Draft saved Draft deleted