1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana representative indicted on a multitude of federal charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

That's exactly why his conviction is a good thing. His years in Washington and his status on committees gave him a sense of entitlement to solicit mega "donations." Influence peddling at its finest. Good riddance, sir. And bring on term limits.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We lost a connected voice in Congress...

Oy vey.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure they'd ever get a conviction. Jefferson seemed to be a slippery as Edwards, but, like Eddie, they eventually got him too.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You actually believe Louisiana's elected officials care about anything beyond lining their own pockets?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I guess he'll be spending a lot of time in the cooler.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The people who voted him into office should look themselves in the mirror, too. To a great extent, people get what they deserve in elected officials.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I won't argue against anything said today. I just meant he punished a lot more people than himself. The scope of corruption in Washington and in Louisiana politics? I was born on a Sunday, but it wasn't last Sunday.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Louisiana doesn't always have the best candidates to choose from.

In 1991, their voters had to choose between a crook (Edwards) and a white supremacist (David Duke). My sociology prof referenced that, saying there was a bumper sticker saying, "vote for the crook. It's important." Not to mention one saying, "vote for the Lizard, not the Wizard."

9. Johnny Dangerously

I saw many bumpers sporting those words.

10. Johnny Dangerously

The crook won, by the way. And has been in prison.

11. Johnny Dangerously

... for years.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I think it was Edwards who uttered one of the classic lines about politicians, "they can't touch me unless they catch me in bed with a dead girl or a live boy."

And all the evidence you need to know that most Louisiana voters are imbeciles lies in the fact that New Orleans re-elected Ray Nagin as mayor less than a year after Katrina. That left me dumbfounded.

Draft saved Draft deleted