1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana: Publish Gun Info, Go To Jail, Pay $10K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In response to The Journal News causing an uproar last year.

http://bit.ly/1at5Hxg

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

They can pass whatever bill they like. A court somewhere will strike it down.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Another constitutional scholar who skipped over the First Amendment on his way to the Second, I see.

Don't publicize public information!!!!!!!!

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A court without a dirt floor.

You know, I just looked it up on wiki. It looks nice enough. Filled with people who are proud of their right to bear arms, just not proud enough for anyone to know about it.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A worthless bill that solves a non-existent problem and gives those who voted for it a few NRA points. Breathtakingly stupid. Did we run out of places to pass anti-Sharia law laws?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The law is stupid. I don't agree with it. And, it very well may be struck down.

But, it's not like all "public information" is public. After the murder of Rebecca Schaeffer, laws were passed to prevent folks from using DMV records to look up your address.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Some stupidity right here:

"any information contained in an application for a concealed handgun permit or any information regarding the identity of any person who applied for or received a concealed handgun permit.”

So some guy with a concealed handgun permit decides to shoot up a place and kill 20 people. Nobody's allowed to report the guy's identity?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

To quote Jerry Holkins:

It is an odd sort of patriot that would destroy the first amendment to protect the second.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Putting aside the constitutionality of the law, the Journal News' decision to identify gun permit owners was a horrible editorial decision by a crappy newspaper that makes bad editorial judgments all the time. The Journal News also makes a habit of publishing lists of public workers' salaries to try to get people worked up over some public worker who got a lot of overtime pay or someone who earns (God forbid!) $140,000 or $150,000.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Again, I will state that I think this law is stupid.

But, I also think this idea is stupid: "proud of their right to bear arms, just not proud enough for anyone to know about it."

Gun rights advocates don't see any reason why they should end up in a government database just because they choose to avail themselves of their their Constitutional right. So, it has nothing to do with how "proud" they are or how willing they are to let anyone "know about it".

I think we would all agree that the idea of mocking someone who supported the privacy of DMV records by saying, "you're proud of your right to drive a car, just not proud enough for anyone to know about it," would be monumentally stupid.

So, why do we let criticism of this sort stand when it's directed at gun owners?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because fuck them and their guns.

Draft saved Draft deleted