1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana-Monroe football beat writer's beef with Kentucky press box/journos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Do they even have an SE in Monroe? I'm asking in all seriousness, because they didn't for the longest time.

2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

It got worse near the bottom when she took a swipe at the Herald-Leader UK writer.
    The X-Ray image of the writer's mugshot is pretty bad too. Then again this is Gannett and their Newsrooms of the Future we are talking about.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We don't and I'd argue that at least some readers do.

Just like some readers care about bylines and other readers care about all the other things newspaper types are convinced they don't care about.

A lot of what she wrote sounds like things I've heard over the years. And the vigorous pushback from the UK writers sounds like it might not have been the best night to be in the pressbox

4. Tabby criticizing others for homerism is pretty rich.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What a joke. No decent editor would have run one word of that drivel.

Nobody outside of the business gives half a shit about this. I was at a SEC game where a longtime, legendary, beloved SID broke a table when he slammed a printer onto a table as his team was getting upset. We all were out that night laughing our asses off about it, but the notion to write about it wouldn't have occurred to anyone.

There are unprofessional people in press boxes all the time. Sometimes they're people who shouldn't be there, and sometimes it's a beat writer who, for whatever reason reacts a way they shouldn't.

I covered a AFC Championship game about 15 years ago and as the game was over, an older writer was dancing in the back of the press box like he had just won the lottery. He did not cover either team and when someone asked why he was reacting the way he was, he said, "Predicted the Super Bowl matchup in August. It's fun to be right."

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Going beyond the "readers don't care" issue, which I agree with completely - if I was her boss, I'd be pretty pissed that after spending the money to send her to Lexington for the game, she doesn't have anything better to trot out (even for a blog entry) than how unprofessional some people were in the press box.

If that's the depth of coverage she's bringing to the table, she doesn't belong in any "Newsroom of the Future"

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate here... What if this was her boss' idea? I can see a shitty click-bait editor suggesting something like this... Writer complains about the press box atmosphere and shitty editor says "write a column about it, stir some shit up."

8. RecoveringJournalist

When I first saw the link, I was worried she was harrassed.

Anybody who has spent any amount of time in the business has seen someone do something stupid. Get over it.

9. RecoveringJournalist

You never know, but I really, really, really doubt it.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again: How do we know this?

I mean, people love petty bullshit. They do.

That story has 200+ tweets and 550+ Facebook shares.

Her previous tidbits has 3 tweets and 10 Facebook shares.

We cannot legitimately say people do not care. They care.

That doesn't mean I'm advocating for it.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet the shares, comments and tweets are almost 100 percent from Kentucky fans trashing her for being a whiny baby who should STFU and write about the game. No one is truly outraged by the behavior of reporters in the Commonwealth Stadium press box, except maybe Louisville fans looking for a excuse to hate on the Wildcats.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed. And how many of the shares were, "Can you believe how these people were acting in the press box?" or "Can you believe this dunce actually wrote about this?"

Draft saved Draft deleted