1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana is drowning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You don't want the POTUS - any POTUS - going into a disaster zone while it is still active. It pulls too many resources away from what they need to be doing. Wait for the water to go down, visit in the recovery phase.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They voted against both packages on new spending, which was primarily for disaster relief.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True. But that hasn't stopped the critics from wanting him to fly down there, wave a magic wand and make the water go away.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Bush was roundly criticized for not landing in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina, but merely flew over in a helicopter so as not to affect rescue efforts. No question, Obama gets a lot of needless criticism from the right, but I think it's warranted this time. He should cut his vacation short and at least act like he cares.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You would be all over Bush for exactly the same things Obama is (or is it "isn't"?) doing right now.

JC likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Bush was on vacation Texas, flew over NOLA and the Gulf on his way back to DC and then visited about a week after Katrina hit.

How about we hold off on calling Obama to visit until we're about a week out from the worst of the flooding?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What a difference 11 years make.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Telenovela Tony's views on helping those in need have changed? How refreshing!

9. Inky_Wretch

Not for me.

Having lived through a POTUS visit to a disaster area where I was helping friends after a tornado destroyed their house, I'd just as soon they fly over in AF1, sign a disaster declaration and put more money to FEMA.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Do you want to read my previous post again?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's tricky though, because the charities who will be doing a lot of the relief work depend on donations which fluctuate with publicity (as does getting Congress to appropriate disaster aid without trying to shift it away from starving grannies or something). And between the Olympics and our circus carnival of an election, this isn't getting a lot of play in the national news.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm here in Massachusetts, far away from Louisiana, and in a drought to boot. The floods are getting a lot of national TV time, often ahead of the election, and daily coverage in local TV news, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted