1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana chemical plant blows up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are reports of a major explosion and fire at a chemical plant in Geismar, Louisiana.

The explosion occurred along Highway 30 and authorities say that the possibility of "numerous fatalities" is high.

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/explosion-fire-chemical-plant-geismar-louisiana-photos-lion-copolymer-geismar-services#ixzz2W6hi2G2u

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It looks like the city is off I-10 about a third of the way from Baton Rouge to NOLA.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Geismar isn't as much a city as it is a community of chemical plants that dot the landscape up and down the Mississippi. It's about 30 minutes south/southeast of Baton Rouge.

I was at this particular plant about three months ago and my in-laws live in Geismar about five miles from the plant.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dutchtown High School in Geismar has produced a bunch of good football players in recent years, including Alabama running back Eddie Lacy and LSU safety Eric Reid. It's also the alma mater of Landon Collins, the kid whose mother famously threw a fit on national TV when he committed to Alabama or LSU a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted