1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Louie" on FX — Anyone watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Eugene Mirman and David Cross get my votes for most underappreciated comedians.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see how Cross could be seen as unappreciated. He's cashing huge Chipmunk checks and has been on a sitcom.

3. For what it's worth, did you see all the crap he got from his friends, like Patton Oswalt, when he accepted the Chipmunk thing? And does that add to his comedic value? I don't begrudge him that payday, I just always wondered how he wasn't more popular for his standup. He's known as "the Blue Man Group guy" on a (great, great) show that only lasted three seasons, and I don't remember the last time I mentioned Mr. Show to anyone who had any idea what it was. So I don't know that I'd say he's hit any more big time than Louis CK. They've both had short-lived HBO shows, some comedy specials, a few great albums and they've been on some TV shows. But I would argue Cross is underappreciated when you take into account the amount of stuff he's done.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Me too. When I hear he's going to be on O&A, it's appointment radio. CK is so incredibly sharp and no-bullshit, and he just has a great chemistry with those guys.

The new show was not what I expected, really odd. It's almost like he's going out of his way to show how self-deprecating he can be. I'll definitely keep watching, though.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

I don't want to go through and list them all, but if you look through Cross' IMDB page, his career is littered with roles in children's movies: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/

Something I've always loved about him, considering his wildly profane stand up. Always felt so twisted that he's made a large chunk of his movie career in movies for kids.

And Louie ... LOVED it. I'm really glad they wove in more stand up than what would be comfortable by mainstream standards, a la Seinfeld.

6. Mizzougrad96

Do you have a link to Patton ripping him? I'd love to see that.

8. Mizzougrad96

I know he and Patton are/were pretty close. I actually saw them when they toured together about four or five years ago.

Both are hilarious, but I'd give the edge to Oswalt.

9. Mizzougrad96

That's funny that Cross brought up Patton's Sierra Mist ad.

Cross was the same person who thought he was above Arrested Development. He famously said something to the effect of, "Well, they pay me $40,000 a week, what the hell am I supposed to do." and I remember Patton saying something similar about King of Queens like "I work one day a week with two of my best friends and I make a ton of money and it helps me fill comedy shows."

10. I never really got the impression Cross thought he was above Arrested Development. He's even said he'd be willing to do the movie, although I think it was also him who recently said that whole thing had outright stalled and everyone was probably too old to do it now (although I'd argue every one of them, including Michael Cera, looks exactly the same).

I'd love to see a return of a Mr. Show-type thing with Cross and Bob Odenkirk.

11. Mizzougrad96

Cross is unbelievable when he's on stage, but can definitely come across like a self-important douche in interviews. I always bristle when someone is accused of "selling out" when they actually get a movie or a chance to make serious money, but I must admit I laughed when I heard Cross was going to be in the Chipmunk movies.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed both Chipmunk movies. Then again, I have two little kids.

12. Mizzougrad96

I love how Patton signed his "letter to David Cross"

Fondly,

PATTON OSWALT
    Written from my Bill Hicks-shaped pool in the East Wing of Sierra Mist Manor; Burbank, CA

P.S. Please name your cottage either AlvinWycke or Chipmunk Terrace.

P.P.S. In any and all future personal conflicts, I propose we continue communicating with each other like Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley. I call dibs on Vidal!

Draft saved Draft deleted