1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Louie" on FX — Anyone watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I always thought Louis CK was funny, so when I heard he had a show on FX, it made me happy.

The show, it premiered after "Rescue Me," was unlike anything I have ever seen on TV.

Funny but, in a weird way, oddly moving. CK basically plays himself wandering around NYC, think Curb, but mixed in with bits of his standup routine. CK is writing, directing and editing the show himself and the filmed bits are almost like odd little movies. Going on a date and talking about his kids, then it veers off to how his daughter has an infected vagina as his date just stares at him. Later they are on a bench and he moves in for a kiss, and she flees — to a waiting helicopter, that then takes off.

Just some weird, funny shit.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They actually played TWO new episodes.

The first one was funny. The second was hilarious.

Love Louis CK. Saw him in Nashville a couple years ago. Loved Lucky Louie. Bitter they took it off HBO.

3. Didn't watch this after 'Rescue Me' because his HBO show a couple years ago was not funny at all. If this is better, I might check it out.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I love Louis CK. Watched the first two episodes last night and I have to agree with JayFarrar's review. There were some hilarious moments, awkward moments, touching moments. I really liked it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Lucky Louie was a good idea that just was way too difficult to watch. I'm a huge fan of Louis C.K.'s standup and his HBO show had some amazing comedians on it (Jim Norton, (i'm spacing the name of the older guy who is a top standup, but it was really tough to watch.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Louis CK plays the awkward guy VERY well. The dating skit was awesome. Loved how he tried to open the door for her and trapped her behind the door instead. So awkward, but so funny.

Mizzou: I never found Lucky Louie difficult to watch. Definite cringe-worthy moments, but that's part of why I liked it. Hilarious show.

Norton was in the second episode of Louie. They showed a Louie and a handful of other comics playing poker and just goofing on each other. Good stuff.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I love Louis CK when he's on Opie & Anthony. His brutal honesty is what I find so enjoyable about him.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I caught the poker scene with all the other comics on, too. Nick DiPaolo, who I always find hilarious, was on there too, and played a great part in the byplay between the one homosexual guy at the table (I need to look up his name) and rest during a conversation that eventually explained the origin of the term "faggot."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. I love Louis CK, I loved Lucky Louie, and I loved the new show. It was the first new show that I've actually laughed out loud at in years. Hopefully it'll stick around longer than the HBO show.

I used to think some of his parenting stuff was kind of went on too long, but now that I have a daughter I have a whole new appreciation for it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Watched the first one. I love Louis CK as a comic, but I just can't imagine how this show can become a hit. I liked it, but I think it's just too dark for a mainstream audience. I'd love to be wrong.

11. Mizzougrad96

I must admit that in the first episode when he had that creepy smile everytime his hideous date looked at him, I laughed my ass off.

12. Mizzougrad96

Watching the beginning of the second one. Are there any better comics (who haven't hit big time) than Jim Norton, CK, and Nick DiPaolo?

Draft saved Draft deleted