1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lou Grant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Oct 22, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It always blows my mind when you see an actor you like suddenly playing a grandparent.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wife just dragged me to see FootLoose, and we were both caught off guard by Andi McDowell/Dennis Quaid...

Groundhog Day was our first-date movie, so seeing McDowell almost 20 years later on the big screen was a jolt. Good to see some of those older actors (especially women) getting roles though.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Now that you mention it, I do remember him hanging around the Kings and the press box at the Forum. We'd thumb him out and say, "media only" then laugh about that. He'd say, "I'm not a journalist, but I play one on TV."

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool, actually. :)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that during the Barnaby Jones days, Buddy Ebsen was considered one of America's sexiest men. A DILF before his time.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I just yakked all over my shirt. So thanks for that.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Woke up from a dream this morning that had me in an episode...don't remember much of it except for clashing with Rossi, but hey, doesn't everyone :)

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The last thing I remember seeing him in was that Showtime sitcome "Brothers" in the mid-80s. He played an ex-NFL kicker who was the owner of a bar. The hook was that one of his brothers suddenly came out of the closet right before the wedding and how the rest of the family and friends dealt with it.

9. More like a GILF.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How quickly we forget Asner voicing "Up"?

My massive error aside, Einstein did influence my career path a bit. I read "Willie's Time" just as I was getting out of high school and was fascinated by his account of covering Game 3 of the 1951 NL playoff between the Giants and Dodgers ... although there are some days I feel sucked in by it.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Einstein also edited "The Baseball Reader," which you should get if you haven't read it.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All the Fireside Books of Baseball as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted