1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lou Grant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Oct 22, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

I'm sure some of us on here remember this show well...others may have never heard of it, or even know who the character Lou Grant is (say it ain't so). Anyway, I just discovered these recently on hulu and have been hooked, of course, I'm a 70s TV junkie. This series is actually from the early '80s (when I was about 9 years old) -- a news room drama series.

check it out if you like...here's a link to the episode guide from hulu (first three seasons).

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Lou+Grant&st=0&fs=

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The only thing I remember about Lou Grant is that Nancy Marchand (AKA Tony Soprano's mother) played his publisher.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Animal!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard Asner on Carolla's podcast several months ago and it's safe to say he's drifted over into the batshit crazy category.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Active Member

+1. Didn't hear that particular podcast, but I've heard him on some other radio programs and read some interviews with him over the past couple of years, and he has become a very angry man.

I loved the Lou Grant character (even on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" as well). "Lou Grant" is about 10% to blame for my going into the newspaper business.

In addition to Hulu, it also airs with random frequency on the American Life Channel (look for it in the obscure part of your cable listings).

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I've worked for a couple of Lou Grants. They were incredibly tough. They were incredibly great.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The redhead was decent.
    The problem with the show, from an insider's perspective, was that the reporters got too personally involved in every story they wrote. Do a story on a homeless man and spend all your free time trying to find him a place to live. Do a story on a fundraising effort and spend all your free time working for the fundraiser. How about, write the story and move on to the next one.
    My friend worked for a caterer and was tending bar at a Hollywood party. Asner was there. My friend asked him for his autograph to give to me.
    My friend: "May I have your autograph to give to my friend who is a real journalist?"
    Asner: "If your friend is a real journalist, he wouldn't want my autograph."
    He was right.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

I love that bar story...perfect.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

True story: I lived in a fraternity at the University of Rhode Island, and true to "Animal House" form, we all had nicknames.

Because I was editor of the school paper, mine was "Lou Grant."

So at one of our parents' events, one of my fraternity brothers introduced my mom to his mom, saying, "This is Lou's mom, Mrs. Grant."

Of course one of my roommates did not need a nickname. His name was Charlie Brown. Really.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The series may also tell the future. Any day now, a big metro daily will be put out with two reporters, two a city editor and one photographer.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is a fantastic show. Especially when they tackled very "unsexy" topics like hunger, poverty, Lou going to his old hometown, Charlie's Krishna son, old jazz musicians, old boxers. You check the credits on an old Lou Grant episodes you'll see a ton of people who went on to create dozens of TV shows in the 80s and 90s.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I loved the show, but when it started running I was a high school senior working part time at a small daily and a couple years later I was a college sophomore trying to balance full-time school with a new full-time sports writing job at a 100K. I was leaning toward ditching school anyway, but the last straw was when the school's lone j-prof told us to watch the show because that's the way a newsroom was. Not ... in ... my ... experience. Editors were either crusty or lovable, but never crusty and lovable. I thought Rossi was the most credible character: talented but self-absorbed asshole. We had plenty of those.

Still, the only time I've ever called a TV station to complain about anything was sometime in the mid-1980s when they stopped airing the reruns. The TV woman was polite and said the reruns were too expensive given the small audience they were getting.

I have a video of the first episode, bought it in a store in the mid-1990s. The managing editor, Charlie Hume (Mason Adams), was a buffoon in the first episode and then they made the character a lot more serious. In a later episode, he had flashbacks of being tortured by a Central American regime when he was in a foreign bureau. Asner was really into activism on El Salvador at the time, and some people thought he was forcing his politics down the audience's throats, which led to the show's demise.

Draft saved Draft deleted