1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lou Gehrig didn't have Lou Gehrig's disease?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Real Sports ran a piece on this that is WORTH seeing. I too lost a very close friend and mentor to ALS a couple of years ago. You think watching someone go through cancer or AIDS is tough...

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. He was hit by pitches 47 times in his career (including World Series games). Especially with how pitchers didn't give up the inside half of the plate back then, I would think a few of those might have drilled him in the head, where he wasn't wearing a helmet. Heck, one of the stories on Wally Pipp leaving the lineup had to do with him having a fractured skull after getting beaned.

2. Trainers were equipped with aspirin and liquor bottles. They didn't know the first thing about concussions.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michael J Fox was concussed when he went back in time.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ah.....so maybe getting hit by his grandfather's car after knocking his dad out of the way brought on the Parkinson's??

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Biff got knocked out by George, woke up, and got KOed again by Marty. Maybe that's why he became even more stupid.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the screech-radio dimwits are already at it: "I guess that means we don't have to give money to it any more," along with rambling hints it's all some kind of government scam.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Though I fully understand that you meant this as a joke, JJ, you're probably not far off. At least based on one person I know suffering from that dreadful disease.

And for those wishing to learn a potential ALS breakthrough, watch the latest installment of HBO's Real Sports. Some fairly sharp folks might be onto something.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Today, Leary tweeted that they should call it Eric Lindros' Disease.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

We'll never know for sure since he got cremated.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

ALS isn't a joking matter. As Sam and I can attest, watching someone you care for suffer from it is very disheartening.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Lou Gehrig wasn't diagnosed by some country-yokel doctor: he was extensively examined for months at the Mayo Clinic and then at the Columbia University hospital system. He had literally the best medical care available in the world in 1939.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To clarify my earlier post, it's Parkinson's Disease that I'm witnessing, not ALS. Apologies if I've misled anyone.

Both are absolutely dreadful diseases. Understanding that there's no such thing as a great disease, ALS, PD, cancer and MS are among the really awful ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted