1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lottery madness again -- Powerball $425M so far UPDATE $550M

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 25, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15411320-powerball-lottery-jackpot-jumps-to-record-425-million-for-wednesdays-drawing?lite

Figure we will reach a half-bil by Wednesday if last year's Mega Millions is any indication (it was announced at $500M and eventually reached $656M).

Powerball is in 42 states but, sadly, not in California. Don't worry, though, I know a guy so I can get hooked up.

What would you do? First thing for me is book a 300-seat charter jet and buy up 150 hotel rooms on the Big Island and give my closest friends a holiday week to remember. (You're all invited.) First cool and socially responsible thing I do is endow a full four-year college scholarship to one student per year at the old high school in my English teacher's name.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Lottery madness again -- Powerball $425M so far

Pay off every debt I and everyone in my immediate family owes. Then I'd go somewhere warm 24/7/365 and buy a house. Then I'd buy hundreds of tickets for the next Browns opener and invite everyone I know to the game and throw a big party.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd buy 425 million lottery tickets just to say I won lotto twice! [/badideajeans]

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

And we've crossed the magical half-billion threshold. Drawing tonight.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/powerball-jackpot-record-550-million/story?id=17812739

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I actually threw $2 into the newsroom pool, where we buy a bunch of tickets to help inflate the eventual winner's millions.

Our ME actually joked as he chipped in to the lottery fund: Of course, when we win, we'll all give two weeks notice, right? Everyone laughed.

7. My dad said all he'd want is a little bit of land. That'd probably be the first thing I did, after paying taxes and such.

After that? I'd probably do something stupid (buy an over the top car), then go spend a month in the UK, France and Germany with select members of my family.

8. LongTimeListener

How many people are in it, or, what's your share?

The instant payout is $360 million. I'd take a 2 percent share of that. After taxes it would be about $4M, and 4 percent annually from that would give me $160,000 a year to live without ever drawing down the principal. I don't think I'd ever work again.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'd buy a heated swimming pool and fill it with Spaghetti O's, then dive in Scrooge McDuck style.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think about 15-20 people went in on it, with several putting in $5 or even $10.

So yeah, if we hit the jackpot, I would "only" get about 2 or 3 percent of the winnings. Somehow I think I could scrape by without working ... :D

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The numbers have been drawn, and I'm the winner.... of the chance to go back to work tomorrow.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who beat?

Draft saved Draft deleted