1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lottery madness again -- Powerball $425M so far UPDATE $550M

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 25, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15411320-powerball-lottery-jackpot-jumps-to-record-425-million-for-wednesdays-drawing?lite

Figure we will reach a half-bil by Wednesday if last year's Mega Millions is any indication (it was announced at $500M and eventually reached $656M).

Powerball is in 42 states but, sadly, not in California. Don't worry, though, I know a guy so I can get hooked up.

What would you do? First thing for me is book a 300-seat charter jet and buy up 150 hotel rooms on the Big Island and give my closest friends a holiday week to remember. (You're all invited.) First cool and socially responsible thing I do is endow a full four-year college scholarship to one student per year at the old high school in my English teacher's name.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Lottery madness again -- Powerball $425M so far

Pay off every debt I and everyone in my immediate family owes. Then I'd go somewhere warm 24/7/365 and buy a house. Then I'd buy hundreds of tickets for the next Browns opener and invite everyone I know to the game and throw a big party.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I'd buy 425 million lottery tickets just to say I won lotto twice! [/badideajeans]

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

And we've crossed the magical half-billion threshold. Drawing tonight.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/powerball-jackpot-record-550-million/story?id=17812739

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I actually threw $2 into the newsroom pool, where we buy a bunch of tickets to help inflate the eventual winner's millions.

Our ME actually joked as he chipped in to the lottery fund: Of course, when we win, we'll all give two weeks notice, right? Everyone laughed.

7. My dad said all he'd want is a little bit of land. That'd probably be the first thing I did, after paying taxes and such.

After that? I'd probably do something stupid (buy an over the top car), then go spend a month in the UK, France and Germany with select members of my family.

8. LongTimeListener

How many people are in it, or, what's your share?

The instant payout is $360 million. I'd take a 2 percent share of that. After taxes it would be about $4M, and 4 percent annually from that would give me $160,000 a year to live without ever drawing down the principal. I don't think I'd ever work again.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'd buy a heated swimming pool and fill it with Spaghetti O's, then dive in Scrooge McDuck style.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think about 15-20 people went in on it, with several putting in $5 or even $10.

So yeah, if we hit the jackpot, I would "only" get about 2 or 3 percent of the winnings. Somehow I think I could scrape by without working ... :D

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The numbers have been drawn, and I'm the winner.... of the chance to go back to work tomorrow.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Who beat?

Draft saved Draft deleted