1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Oct 2, 2006.

1. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Yes, I know I'm a Lost nerd ...

Was watching videos on www.hansorevealed.com, a "pirate" website that works in conjunction with the show. Came across the (basic) explanation of the numbers.

So this stuff isn't "true," but it helps understand the show.

There exists a "Valenzetti Equation" ... in which Italian scientist Enzo Valenzetti predicts the exact number of years and months before humanity extinguishes itself.

Quoting Alvar Hanso:
    "Valenzetti gave numerical values to the core environmental and human factors in his equation: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. Only by manipulating the equation -- by finding scientific solutions to all of our problems -- we may be able to (change) those core factors and give humanity a chance to survive.

It's long been my belief that we have ignored warnings at our own peril. For this, the DHARMA Initiative.

DHARMA = Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications.

When, through your research, you manage to change the numerical value of any of these factors ... when you have created through science ... (garbled) ... you will know that the true way has been found.

Change the core value of the Valenzetti Equation and you have changed the course of destiny.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

That cleared everything up. Thanks.

I love this show because I get more confused with every episode.

3. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Or every podcast. I'm lame.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is it a bad sign when there's zero discussion of a new Lost episode?

Sayid disappointed me with his simplistic thinking last night. He should have anticipated the Others might approach via the ocean.

Jack's line after being told the Red Sox won the World Series was pretty funny.

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

You taste like strawberries.

You taste like fish biscuits.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm near my end with this show unless some real questions are answered. It is well written, smart, well acted and looks great. But the mysteries grow with no end in sight. Unless some movement is made on at least some of the open questions before the break next month, I'm likely done with the show.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's almost where I am. It's almost to the point where I can't keep up with all the unanswered questions.

8. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i walked away at the beginning of last season, so i know the feeling. just no payoff. i got tired of feeling exploited and manipulated.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Apparently they gave away a lot - a LOT - in the "Lost Experience" interactive game (i.e. whoring to advertisers). But from the outset, we were told that you didn't have to play that game to enjoy the show.

Also - I don't get as much into the mysteries as others. To me, "LOST" is a metaphor for society. Right now societies are at war. We know the point of view of one side, which is how we feel when good ol' US of A goes to battle. The other side - "The Others" - are the bad guys. But I'm sure by the end, they'll turn it around on us and show us that they have their reasons for doing what they do, as well. They're defending their home, I imagine, and it will appear justified.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I too am getting fed up. The Sayid/Boat thing was pretty stupid, you'd think he's a better recon guy than that.

The "oops almost got away" story line with those captured is tired and worn out. Either they get away or not.

The Ben/Henry Gale meeting with Jack was fascinating though. That line will keep me going for a little while longer.

11. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

The explanations we've gotten so far about the Others -- about the button, the hatch, the plane crash!!!! -- don't count as revelations for you? Certainly much remains unresolved, including all underlying truths about the O's, but it's not like we're at Square One on every issue.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think last night's episode sets up the rest of the season really well...

Draft saved Draft deleted