1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think the producers are complicit in creating unrealistic expectations, but at the same time, much of that has been fan driven.
    Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy it [/bobbyknight]. Just get taken along for the ride, you don't have to know where you are going and have everything you see from the windows explained to you by the driver.
    Plus, when you get to that final destination, you got a reasonably good expectation that either you don't like what you see, or it is completely underwhelming.
    And for every person who sees the Grand Canyon and shrugs, you have another person blown away by the sight of it.
    As for me, I'm ready for the ride to be over, but I'll miss it when its gone.

And does Wilco know something we don't?

2. NDub

NDub Guest

I agree, Jay. It's like the question about media and society. Does media create and drive behavior, actions, etc. seen in society? Or does society's actions, behavior, etc. drive the media?

We should stop worrying so much about answers (!) and just watch the show for what is being presented to us.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

What about Flocke's backpack? What happens to it when he goes smokey? Or his clothes? Does he leave them somewhere and then go back for them after he's un-smokified? Does he have to be naked like the Terminator going through time?

So many questions! Why won't they answer them?!

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This has been a common refrain, usually from dudes who are inexplicably fixated on "The NUMBERS!!!!!!!"

So, schieza, if there are "too many holes out there," (and I don't dispute that there are holes), please provide a list of these many, MANY holes that you feel remain unresolved.

I know I tried this a few weeks/pages ago, and didn't get a response. But at this point, maybe dudes who feel there are "many" holes will share what that means?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Unanswered_questions

6. Piotr Rasputin

It's easy to say, "Um, well . . . lostpedia says it!" Easier than saying, "Well, this particular thing has bothered me in the course of the show, and . . ."

If you were honest, you'd see that the bulk of those lostpedia questions fall under the heading of "Who gives a shit?"

"Why was Cindy with the tailies?"

"What was Isabel's role in the Others' trial system? How does that system work?"

Oh my God!!! How could I NOT have thought of these MYSTERIES!!!!!!!

NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. RickStain

Why would I want to give you a list when you've made it clear you intend to mock any answer, as you are doing with the numbers?

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Jesus christ.

THIS SHOW IS NOT ABOUT ANSWERING YOUR MOTHER FUCKING QUESTIONS.

You do not have to explain every goddman question. Why can't people just accept it for what it is? A fucking mystery. Every time you have a question anything in real life do you NEED an answer? When you look at a bird, do you wonder where it's going to fly? When you see a monument, do you have to know what it's made out of? When you see a bum standing on the street corner, do you need to know why s/he's there? Why can't you just accept that things are what they are? FUCK.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I do not think Jacob's brother became the Smoke Monster. I think the Monster became him. I theorize the monster always existed. Once Jacob knocked out the brother (or killed him) and threw him into the pool, the Monster came out. The Monster later assumed the guise of the brother because the brother was dead, as it did with many other dead people.

The Smoke Monster could not kill the mother. The mother gave Jacob this power by having him drink from the spring. Jacob's brother did not have this power. However, it wasn't Jacob's brother who couldn't kill him or the mother. It was the Smoke Monster.

The mother was the protector of the island. She could not be killed by the Smoke Monster. Jacob's brother could kill her, though. I do not believe the mother turned into a fire monster and killed all of Jacob's brother's people. I think the Smoke Monster did that. This caused Jacob's brother to go into a rage and kill the mother. Jacob retaliates by killing him and throwing him into the spring where the Smoke Monster exists along side the light.

The scene where Jacob tells the brother that the brother he will find a loophole comes after the mother is dead. Probably well after, based on Jacob's calm reaction. Hundreds of years. Jacob has realized his fate by then. He knows the Smoke Monster can't kill him, but he also knows he can die at the hands of someone else. If he dies, there will be no protector of the island. Jacob knows the Smoke Monster will figure this loophole out -- it had already happened when the brother become so enraged he killed the mother. If SM can do it again, then all is lost.

Jacob knows he needs a successor to ensure the island will remain protected. He begins bringing people to the island. As long as there is still a candidate around the Smoke Monster cannot leave the island even if Jacob is dead. The Smoke Monster must manipulate these people into killing each other so it can leave and destroy the world. It can kill people who aren't candidates, but not ones who are.

The final scene will be similar to the first scene with Jacob and his brother, except the brother will now be in the form of Locke and the new Jacob will be Jack.

10. RickStain

Why can't you just accept the people who want the answers as what they are?

11. You must be employed the by the show. There's no other explanation for your posts.

Just "accept that things are what they are"? Holy crap. When there are gaping plot holes, and things that just don't make sense, you're just supposed to "accept that things are what they are"? Is this a journalism or a sycophants board?

12. Piotr Rasputin

And what about that bird that said "Hurley"??????

ANSWERS!!!!

NUMBERS!!!!!!!!

(Thanks to all who enjoy rhapsodizing about the possibly theories of this show. I believe that was the creators' intent, to get people talking about POSSIBLE "answers," rather than just creating mysteries, then leading the viewer to every single one. Again, this isn't "Heroes." We're expected to think, here).

Still waiting for some "answers" regarding the "GAPING!!!" plot holes. As we have seen in all of these Lost threads, there's a good chance that what you think is a "question!" has already been answered, and you might have just forgotten about it or missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted