1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

I'm not sure that -- as some people have intimated here -- the "light" is anything good. All the mom said was that it's something that's in people that they always want more of. That doesn't mean it's necessarily good. I think that's the trick with having it be light -- given our whole light vs. dark theme -- yet having it spawn smokey from dead bro (or whatever happened there exactly).

i mean, it conceivably seems possible that after weeks of being absolutely sure now that MIB was bad and Jacob was good, we now have a brother who wasn't bad -- just human -- and wanted not to have to serve as some sort of protector. if that's the case and Smokey still has that part of MIB in him, who's to say he's a "bad" guy per se?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He probably didn't recognize her with two eyes.
    [/Futuramareference]

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The mother clearly went to see the light and became the smoke (or fire) monster along with being the island's protector.

That's why she said Jacob must never go to the light, because it was a fate worse than death. It also made her crazy to have that kind of power, but also be in an ageless human body, which was another kind of power, along with the ability to influence things.

It explains why she was able to wipe out the original Others, and I only said a fire monster because Blackie said all the Others were burned to death.

The original Others appeared to have Phoenician-style clothing but I suspect some person on the interwebs will determine what language the twins mother and Mother were speaking at the start and that will pinpoint a time, even though the best guess is that it was thousands of years ago.

It also seems clear Jacob was born simple and Blackie "special." It now covers why the others were grabbing kids and why Walt was important to them, he was special, just like Blackie and was able to tap into some of the power the island generates. They were fulfilling one of Jacob's commandments, "find a candidate." The others also seemed to believe that if they could breed a child on the island, he or she would be born special and then become Jacob's replacement. But that isn't how the island works, or the island has known all along who Jacob's replacement would be and kept children from being born as it waited for the right person to come to the island.

Hurley is special, because he can interact with the dead but I don't think he's the one and the show is pointing to Jack, but I think that's a long con being run by the show's producers. More likely, Jacob's replacement is meant to be someone else, Rose?

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

I thought it was kind of neat that the birth mother of the teams when asked her name answered, "Claudia." To which Janney's character replied, "that's a beautiful name."

Of course, Janney's character in "The West Wing" was Claudia. Sort of a homage to another fabulous show.

As I've said previously, I'm really going to miss this show.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Anyone find something online about the translation of what Mother told Jacob when she was pouring the wine?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ethan was born on the island.

Not sure if Faraday was. Probably.

Still a question.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

You guys are making a ton of sense here and I appreciate it. I've been trying to explain things to doofuses at another blog and some of them just don't get it.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Stolen verbatim from the AV Club comment boards...this guy pretty much nailed what I think.

This is the first episode of the season I was truly disappointed with. And by "disappointed with" I mean "thought was bad." The ep has many of the problems of Ab Aeterno (I wonder if the writers started with the idea of doing this whole ep in Latin, then remembered what a pain doing almost an entire ep in Spanish was), and it manages to magnify them. Whereas Aeterno actually had some small path into the flashback info via present Richard, Across the Sea had absolutely no road for the audience into its story. How are we supposed to integrate this episode with the tale we've been told up to this point? Our characters don't have this info. Jacob's dead. The Brother is not necessarily The Brother we met tonight. In short, this episode is divorced from our protagonists' experience in a way that no episode in this series has ever been before, and it suffers for it.

I do suspect this episode was meant to be profound and revelatory, and unfortunately I found it to be neither. It felt shallow, predictable, more than a little lazy, and unnecessary. But it also felt dishonest. That last cut to Season 1, apart from a) being jarring, and b) showing a profound lack of respect for the audience and what it could remember being shown five episodes ago or so, conveniently omitted the lines about how the clothes showed about fifty years' decay.

Anyhoo, I still love the show, and I still have high hopes for the remainder of the season. But this ep felt like a colossal (get it?) misstep.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Totally agree. I think this was a wasted ep. I think they could have revealed the Adam and Eve thing within another episode that included the Losties. And the light thing only added to the confusion. I mean, the faux mother, where and when did she come to the island? My take is that she somehow got to be the smoke monster and was evil and did evil things when it suited her. She tried to get MIB to be the candidate but when he went off the reservation, she knew it had to be Jacob. And when MIB killed her, remember, he stuck her with that special knife from behind before she could say anything to him, just like Dogan told Sayid to kill Locke/MIB. But then Jacob threw MIB down the toaster hole and well, here we are.

And I'm just as confused as ever and refusing to read spoilers as I truly want a surprise.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Throw me in the camp that wonders what the hell that episode was. There have been very few Lost episodes where I didn't like them at all, but I think that was one of them. With only one regular episode left before the finale I thought it just put too many more questions into the mix and didn't clear up anything. I'm not getting the special powers Jacob and MIB have other than maybe they tap into the island's stream some how, although that's not clear. Who the hell is the mother and why is she in the fray at all? And the light? WTF? Even the Adam and Eve answer was dumb and it took them a whole episode to answer it when they could have answered it in a segment.

I've also seen someone say that this was an episode they could have almost stuck anywhere this season and not at the end. With how much it left to be confused, I would have been more comfortable with it if it were early on and we had time to recover from it. But as will a lot that has happened in this series, I'm hopeful that once all is out there it will fit in OK and we'll understand it more.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I didn't dislike the episode, but I think that's only because I've come to terms with the fact that the writers have wrote themselves into a corner promising more than they could deliver, and a lot of stuff will seem kind of lame in the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted