1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

I'm admittedly gonna need to watch again, but I don't remember that reveal.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But the MIB cannot kill candidates.

That was the rule Widmore broke as well by killing Alex, right? People can kill candidates, but MIB and Jacob cannot. I think Ban and Widmore sort of continued this rule onto themselves.

So Dharma was trying "to take the cork off" so to speak? This is why they were battled by the Others?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It definitely wasn't the Black Rock.

1) Calm seas
    2) Statue intact
    3) MIB asks Jacob if he realizes that MIB wants to kill him. After the events with Richard, he'd have to be pretty darn sure.

It was one of the previous times Jacob had brought people to the Island.

4. 93Devil

Could this be a wager between Greek or Roman Gods?

MIB is a disposed God and Jacob is the mercenary of another God tasked with keeping MIB on the island?

Still trying to figure out why children cannot be born on the island. New candidates? MIB has to eliminate all candidates before leaving?

5. It better be something this big. Because if it's just a battle between two fictional supernatural forces unanchored in anything we were previously aware of before the show started, then ... eh.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How do you get around a cork? Smash the bottle.
    If the island is the cork and the island is under water in the "alternate" timeline, doesn't that mean the Man in Black won?
    One of the things that Cuse and Lindeloff said early on was Jack and the rest didn't fully understand the implications of detonating the bomb and that it would have consequences for lots of people.

The show is clearly drawing from Egyptian mythology but I think in the end, the show will be about the choice between good and evil and how religion muddles the picture.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

What I got from all the hell talk last night was that the Man In Black, if released from the island, would want to bring evil and corruption to everyone. Maybe a little dramatic, but couldn't that be considered a hell on earth?

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm glad we pretty much know the game now. But now we just need its origins - the why and how they got here. We'll get that later this year from what I can tell by a few *minor* spoilers that most of us already know about. Also, I want to know why/how Jacob can give eternal life and bring people to the Island. And why/how a man can turn into a man-killing/-transforming/mind-reading pillar of smoke seemingly at will.

Also, there's NO WAY the show gets turned into two powerful beings battling over some ideology and a piece of Island. It would totally shit on the first five seasons of the show and all of our characters just being some miniscule chess pawns.

9. I hope you're right, but sometimes I feel like the creators are so close to the product that they don't have a terrific handle on which characters matter to people and which don't.

There has to be some satisfying twist at the end that gives this all broader context. Has to be.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

AGreed. Every time I start to wonder what the hell they're doing, Lindelof and Cuse drop a bomb on me. Can't expect they won't now.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

Brevity, Doc Jensen. Fucking brevity.

12 pages.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20354159,00.html

12. 93Devil

I have a feeling the last seven episodes were outlined in their mind when they pitched the show to ABC many years ago.

They know what they are doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted